The Front Room Links

12 October 2010

last letters

UPDATE 12/10/10: After a long break 6,768 Miles Apart with Diana is now up. Visit Diana at Our City Lights or click on the collage below to be redirected to our photographic collaboration and its pocket history.



"It's almost unbearable to read all the human emotions it covers. It feels like looking into the sun as it's dying." Carol Ann Duffy comments on Ted Hughes' "Last Letters"

Ted Hughes was inscrutable for a number of years after the death of Sylvia Plath. I imagine that his silence played a large part in his vilification. Grief, and perhaps remorse, has steadily become a spectator sport. Images of a silent black hearse trailed by equally silent black-suited men and women, a road lined with crowds that stand twenty-deep, places blanketed by bouquets, letters, and candles. And of course, the anguished tears. Judges on the bench comment about the lack of remorse seemingly displayed by a criminal and it makes me wonder why silence is so often mistaken for indifference. Sometimes, grief, regret, and remorse, can curl up tight inside you, cementing itself between your bones, and sometimes, it feels like every breath rattles with the effort of what you hold in. No wonder you're silent. Perhaps for fear of what would happen, should you ever start to speak.





Flowers for you



22 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful I had to read three times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!! And your photos are soo pretty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with your spectator sport remark.

    Sometimes I think we should just employ professional grievers like they used to and still do in some cultures. Someone to do the wailing giving the bereaved the space to deal with their loss however they see fit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah, dontcha just love spring? these flowers are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe how beautiful these photos are Ana. B.! That hill dotted with field flowers just makes me want to immediately hop on a plane and roll around on it!

    So ture what you say here. In the great Lindy Chamberlain trail (her baby was snatched at Uluru by a dingo) the press and public declared her "guilty" before she was properly brought into a court room because she didn't rant and wail and tear her clothes (I suppose). She was found guilty (and later innocent five or so years on and released). Even though Ted Hughes said nothing and people had a go at him for that I still think it was more noble than to go on and on about Sylvia. Dignified silence is just that, dignified. He was a very, very good poet too I think. I love his work.

    What an extra specially lovely post this is! Thank you! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautiful. I adore all of your photos and the pretty flowers. You also look stunning with such a stylish top and skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for your sweet comment girl:)! I really appreciate it. I'm very much into the whole sheerness of clothing.. I just need to get my hands on a really pretty skirt/dress one I pictured in my head..

    xx

    Cyliaaaa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful pictures and I really like your blog !

    ReplyDelete
  9. you have the loveliest pictures and blog posts my dear! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. very gorgeous gorgeous pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. gorgeous pics!!!

    www.lovelywanderlust.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely and pretty pics! the text is so sweet...

    ReplyDelete
  13. i heard a commentary on ted hughes the other day on npr. the poor man. they mentioned that another of his wives also killed herself. the grief and guilt must have been monumental for him. and the scorn, hatred and judgment of others must have been nearly unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful post! I love Sylvia Plath's poems! So moving! xxoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your interpretation of the poem is strikingly true. About fear, about grief.

    on the lighter note, I dig dig dig dig (I sound like the dwarf aint I?) your lace halter top. And since Louis Vuitton launched their knee length a- line skirts, I'm obsessed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well said. There are some ways to cope with grief, one is in silence and another is to talk it out with somebody. I usually do the 1st one first and then later the other one.

    You´re looking so pretty in spring, An! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is an incredibly beautiful post, in every way really. Very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aaaah! Gorgeous,gorgeous beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't begin to count how many times I found myself nodding in agreement while reading this. You write so true and eloquently, Ana.

    On another note, these beautiful photos were a welcome and warming sight. It's very wet and very cold here today (not that I mind because I do love my autumn, but still...).

    P.S. I'm so glad you and Diana are back in action!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ur photoshop skill is good and awesome . really enjoy read ur blog . i followed u now

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?