The Front Room Links

20 December 2008

Whoopsie Daisies! It's Fifties Fever

This is a mammoth post to make up for the lack of posting in the past two days. And there's a definite 50s-housewife theme to it. What is it about Christmas that brings out the hostess-with-the-mostess in me? I spent most of my last two days at work making everyone a 3D Christmas tree out of cardboard and tinsel and slaved over my mixing bowl making banana cake.

Check out Posh Girl Vintage's authentic 50s dresses. I just cannot get over the colour, the teeny tiny waists, the frothy fabrics. There's only one classic silhouette that is synonymous with the 50s - a boatneck or a cap sleeve, a cinched waist, and a full, petticoated skirt. The prevalance of this shape during this era is linked to the rigid gender roles during this period and the emphasis on uniformity and stability post-World War. For me, it serves as a constant reminder of how clothing, fashion, and style are intrexicably linked to the manners, mores and events of its time.




♥ Top from Jeans West ♥ Skirt from Mink Pink ♥ Belt from Glassons ♥ Shoes from Mi Piaci




5 comments:

  1. awww :) your car experiences made me feel much better~ thanks hun. i was going for another lesson today, but it rained like the whole of wellington was under Angel Falls, so we decided to pass. ANYWAY, I AM IN LOVE WITH YOUR SKIRT >:O WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF I STEAL IT ONE NIGHT?! >:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, Target :)
    but, I bought them over a year and a half ago......thanks, love.

    Oh, great skirt. LOVE the florals! :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ana! You're looking so beautiful here. be sure to show us/tell us the progress of this cardboard 3D tree won't ya ;)

    Skirts gorge, the dresses similarly so. It ws like a never ceasing heightening pleasure loking through those files lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable post! I'm a very strong feminist...but 50s style sucks me in every time and the housewives did look darling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. romantic apple: Natelle, don't be a dork! You are a teeny tiny wee thing whereas I'm a great hulking gal next to you. My skirt could probably double as a dress for you ;)

    fashion chalet: floral equals bliss, love and happiness. That's it!

    eelie: I can make you one if you like, Eelie! Ppl at work kept asking for them. My little fingers were working overtime and my work was falling to the wayside...

    the clothes horse: O yes. While the 50s is most definitely a time in which I would not have enjoyed being a woman, I would wear these clothes every day - to death!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?