The Front Room Links

19 November 2008

Quotation

"You have so many clothes!"

What is your usual response to this question? I get it quite a lot. My default reaction is to answer quite bashfully and lie - "Oh I never throw anything away". Where does this need to explain come from? Why should I feel the need to justify owning too much of a certain thing? I think it comes from the long-held and wilfully embedded notion that a person who is interested in fashion, shopping, clothing and style and who loves to do activities related to that, is vacuous, insipid and unintelligent. By displaying your interest in this, you are automatically tarred by this uncomplimentary brush. Also, the above statement can be delivered as an accusation as if you - wilful and heinous hoarder of many clothes and accessories - are the epitome of the consumptive and materialistic extremes of a capitalist society.

My suggestions as a point of reply:
"You have so little clothes!"
"Why shouldn't I have so many clothes?"
"I think it's all about priorities, my dear."
"Hahahaha. Okay." and walk away.




♥ Cardigan from Max ♥ Dress from Witchery ♥ Belt is a random lace ribbon ♥ Earrings a souvenir from Sfera, Barcelona ♥ Bangle from somewhere I cannot remember ♥ Shoes from Witchery ♥ Bag is thrifted

9 comments:

  1. I love your dress. I get that question a lot and I always have to give a lengthy response. Really though the truth is I wear EVERYTHING in my closet and I don't throw things away...if it's large it's because I've still got clothes from elementry school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also get that question a lot. Just like shoes! People ask me a lot 'Why do you have so many shoes?' Uhm.. Maybe because I'm a big shoe-addict? But you're right. I actually should say 'Why do you so less shoes?' right? But you look really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get that a lot too. I generally stammer out something about the fact that I only buy second-hand and wear all my clothes so I'm not an Evil Capitalist Pig, but I think I'm going to stop doing that. Instead I'm going to say, "Yes, isn't it great?" :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gulp, i have alot of clothes - but mostly self made or secondhand/vintage stuff so that always makes me feel better. You are looking mighty summery here, i love that pretty white dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this outfit on you! And you look so spring-y... it's making me feel like I'm on the wrong hemisphere.
    I think when people as me that question I usually think "relative to who or what?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha I love your suggestions! Even though I probably don't have as many as yours, I always say "I KNOW" and smile when people say that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lavender: Well I'm glad I hit a chord!

    Clotheshorse: I envy you if you still fit clothes from elementary school!

    a cat of impossible colour, AsianCajuns, V : your suggested replies made me laugh so hard! I love it and will definitely break it out.

    Sam: Thank you! You're very sweet. Mmm...shoes...drool...

    The Paper Doll: the white dress is a new favourite. I have a combination of new and thrifted but not much self-made since I can't sew!

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha totaly agree with the answere to that annoying question! i get that question ask alot 2!

    love ur blog girlie!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?