On a very important note, I'm so excited to congratulate Natelle at the Romantic Apple for striking up a deal with a wonderful Wellington boutique to stock her jewellery. Hurray! I featured Natelle's jewellery in this post here. Currently, you can buy her jewellery from Trademe or just drop her a comment at her blog for something custom - ooeerr! Natelle is the maker of one of my favourite necklaces.
The colour of this top makes me hungry for passionfruit melting moments. My favourite details are the slit sleeves, the embroidery on the edges of the sleeves and collars, the knife pleats down the front and the pearly plastic buttons. I'm building up quite a collection of vintage embroidered nana blouses!

♥ Top is vintage ♥ Belt from Witchery ♥ Skirt from Valley Girl ♥ Necklace worn as bracelet is vintage
Seven-ish years ago when I was a penniless student frittering my living costs away on designer clothing instead of groceries, I was able to afford World. In fact, I was such a good costumer - if somewhat slow on the layby payments - that I managed to score invites to their show in NZ Fashion Week and a swanky store-only knees-up. But that was many many moons ago before the combination of their international success, inflation, and my regressed tastes in fashion (i.e. tacky cheap chain store goodies) collided, resulting in astronomical jumps in their pricing and my long, long sabbatical from the shop.
This current Spring/Summer 08 collection in stores now is whetting my appetite again. Flattering and forgiving cuts and designs has always been a priority for World designers, Denise L'Estrange-Corbet and Francis Hooper. From the looks of this collection, there is a move towards body-conscious silhouettes and dresses but the fabrics with which they're made look sturdy and stiff enough to hold you in. Also, there are drapier, freer shapes as alternatives. The combination of short flippy high-waisted skirts, big heels and blousy tops is a silhouette that has been worked by many West Californian bloggers and remains relevant for NZ in this collection. The floral chintz-pattern shirt dress with the exaggerated collar is yummy and also reminiscent of the shapes and patterns of Kenzo's Spring/Summer '09 Collection which I previously posted about here. Also, this collection is a reference to the Seven Deadly Sins. I may be a bit thick but I don't quite see it in the clothes. View the full lookbook here to judge for yourself. Note: a lookbook model with a mad mad tan.


All lookbooks pics from World.
As an aside, a close up of the background to the lookbook reveals some fantastic vintage porcelain plates, the whimsy and cuteness of which is subverted by some well-chosen rude words. Why? Just because! You can buy them from Trixie Delicious at Toggle!

All pics from Trixie Delicious at Toggle.
For an "edgier" World look, see how Pebbles Hooper, the daughter of the designers, worked some World studded hot pants into her look!
Picture from Remix Magazine
Oh! I love those sinful plates! When I brought my mum to Craft2.0 in June this year, she wanted to buy a set of the seven sins >:) But then decided that my dad would get put off by "Lust" and "Greed" while he ate his roast chicken, so she didn't end up buying them. *laughs* Thanks a lot Ana, I hope it all works out with Swonderful, I'm so excited! Also, you can never have too many granny blouses! >:) NEVAAR!
ReplyDeleteOh imagine if your mum had bought him that plate that said "wanker" never mind the "lust" and "greed"! hahahaha. I'm just laughing thinking of it. I'm almost tempted to buy one for myself. I have a soft spot in my heart for "addict". It will work out! You have no worries!
ReplyDeleteThat vintage top is gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteOh, let me know what you think of Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants 2! I haven't seen it yet, and am quite curious.
xo
That blouse is really pretty. Also, I do really like these plates.
ReplyDeleteI see we two girls share the same love. A love for floral prints. You wear it so well, too. :) Thanks for your swoon worthy comments, my dear! <3
ReplyDeletexx
muchlove: argh! i fell asleep! hahaha. that doesn't bode well for the movie but I think it was just because I was tired. I will try again on the weekend and tell you.
ReplyDeletethe clotheshorse: thank you! the plates are pretty cool.
fashion chalet: i love floral prints. in fact, the first ever posts in this blog just consisted of me wearing floral dress after floral dress. hehe. it is an addiction.