The Front Room Links

29 October 2008

Power Dressing for the Public Servant

My work has a fairly liberal dress code. At any one point in time, someone is always wearing inappropriate work clothing. This is because public servants, as a general rule, have three looks:

conservative and generic - meaning a lot of black suits
a hot hippy dippy mess - meaning wild patchwork maxi skirts teamed with oversized flower corsages and generally frizzy hair (forgive me but these people tend to wax on about Annah S and Trelise Cooper. Vom!)
the mum-on-run look - meaning elasticated pants, jumpers and sneans (sneakers with jeans) for casual Fridays

And then there is me. Who tries to get away with fairly anything. Shorts with tights. Denim vests. Brown plaid oversized blazers However, when I have an important meeting to attend where I actually have to look like I know stuff, it is a sad universal truth that those items of clothing really have to go.



Top Witchery Necklace After the Boom, Tokyo Bangle Newtown Fair stall Belt Portmans Skirt Country Road Shoes Mi Piaci

Forgive the hurried posts tonight. I have to prepare the house for a Day-Before-Halloween-Scary-Movie-Night which I'm hosting tomorrow. This means hasty trips to the supermarket for punch ingredients, alcohol, chippies and apples for the apple bobbing, a huge house clean-up, and a slapdash attempt at Halloween decorations. Here's a wee preview:

3 comments:

  1. And you look amazing, I'm sure you could dominate any meeting! I particularly like that top paired with the skirt, the pink really suits you. I dress up when I want to pretend I'm far more important than I actually am. It was wonderful/hysterical to bump into you! Small world, especially when you work on the Terrace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, I love it. So true about public servants (I work at a GOC so I'm technically one myself)... The sneans and the hippy dippy ones, goodness I sit next to those people at morning tea.

    I love your professional-ish look because it's still feminine and has personality (which is what all those black suited people are usually missing)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. louise: turns out i didn't do so much dominating in the meeting - more sitting quietly and speaking when i was spoken too. that's what a lack of prep will do to ya!

    strikematch: i think us public servants really should stick together ;) one day i might be one of those hippy dippy types.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?