The Front Room Links

06 January 2010

...and three more Italian cities

It is my second time in Venice. The first was in springtime. I remember the sun setting while I watched on the Rialto Bridge. The water turned amber and the cameras whirred like crazy. This time, Venice was aqua alta. The high tide was lapping against the foundations of the city, seeping into St Mark’s square. A lot of the buildings were shut tight, either abandoned or closed until the high season. Venice in winter is enchantingly spooky. In the drizzle, the grand old houses at the edges of the canals look like they are crumbling into the water, their paintwork peeling, the brickwork showing through. Piazzas are slick with rain and empty of people. It is Venice without its mask. Winter shows it for it really is - a city, slowly sinking, aging with undisputed grace but sad resignation. Its grandeur is faded, like Miss Haversham in her mansion, wrapped in a slightly tattered lace shawl. It felt like time was leaving Venice behind.



Treviso is called “Little Venice” by the locals due to the striking similarity of its canals, bridges and houses to Venice itself, only twenty minutes away by train. Indeed, a pocket of the city feels like Venice if it were newer, cleaner, and not so prone to sinking into the canal mud. If Venice is a winged lion then Treviso is a pampered Siamese house cat.


The patron saint of Padua, Italy is St. Anthony. He is also the saint you pray to when you’re missing something as he will help you find it. I need St Anthony. I am prodigious at losing essential things like keys, wallets, and phones. While I sat in a cramped Italian cafĂ©, perched on a stool, drinking strong Italian coffee, the snow started to fall outside. The city was empty. Everyone was huddled inside. I realised I’d never seen snow fall till that moment.



NEXT STOP: France! See you there. Arrivederci, Italia.

19 comments:

  1. Your photos are gorgeous. And you sure know how to write. It's just so exciting to follow your European adventure. Can't wait to see what you did in France!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely! Oh I want to go back to Italy!

    When I visited Europe I went to Venice in Summer and then in Winter. Your description of winter in Venice is so apt. I kinda liked it better though than when I went in Summer. I liked the spookiness. I especially liked drinking hot chocolate and eating tiramasu outside one of the cafes watching the dirty water of the canal drift on by.

    I look forward to your France posts! I absolutely adore France xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous of your adventures! Your photos are lovely, as always, and I really like the way you described Venice.
    Oh, and I ALWAYS pray to St. Anthony!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're so lucky!

    which cities are you going to visit??

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks absolutely beautiful...we are going next year, so excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooo if only there were a little link on here that could magically transport me into these photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i liked the way you portrayed Venice. it's quite sad, but sounds so true. Venice is so beautiful, i can't imagine it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These pictures are truly stunning. It looks like one of the most beautiful places ever. I'd love to visit there sometime. Enjoy the rest of your time away and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooooh! So beautiful - I've been to Venice 5 times (my favourite city in the world) - those photos make my head spin they're so lovely!!! Love, love them all - you really are a master photographer Ana!!! Just the best!! XXOO's

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woman you are amazingly lucky!
    How i wsih i was near scenery like this right now..

    ReplyDelete
  11. look at you devour the map, you globetrotter! I'm jealous of your travels, I'm really hoping my family trip to Europe happens this year. italy looks spectacular. can't wait to see what you get up to in france!
    -indigo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohh, a "Great Expectation" reference....very Gilmour Girls. Well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These photographs are amazingly beautiful!! I've always wanted to go to Venice and your pictures make me want to be there today!!

    It looks like the trip has been utterly fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so beautiful - I'd love to go. And you know what? My grandma always prays to St Anthony when she loses things - I'm not really a follower of religion in anyway but I have to admit, I've given it a go a couple of times and have always found what I'm looking for pretty soon after! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  15. dear ana b.,
    i'm so happy to see you're having such a great time in europe. your photos and words make quite the vivid pair. through them, i feel like i'm walking on italian soil again. your description of venice in winter is so apt. it brings back memories. ♥

    you got to witness snow falling! did you love it?! :)

    hugs,
    emily

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, Venice sounds hauntingly beautiful! And how wonderful that you got to see your first falling snow! :)

    I'm behind on blog reading, but I just had to go back through your travels; everything is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?