Just like the fantastic Saray at My Idea of Fashion who did a wonderful post on the influence her mother's style had on hers, I was zipped and stuffed into a parade of beautiful dresses and shiny mary-jane shoes with ruffled socks from a very early age by my mother. This experience has surely influenced my love of dresses and pretty things. My mother is truly the most stylish woman I know. The enduring memories I have of her as I was growing up are the smell of perfume, black satin heels, curlers, shift dresses, amazingly tailored suits, leather handbags and a wonderful eye for truly beautiful things. When I visit my mother's, I make a beeline for her closet. It is a wonderland spread across two rooms in the house. You can get lost in fantasy there.
Masks from Venice for the Masquerade goer.

A beautiful cream lace dress by Collette Dinnigan hanging by the window

A pink froth of a fascinator paired with wooden, hand-painted eggs and an envy-inducing Dior saddlebag.

A 60s style chair in cherry red paired with the promised Dries Van Noten Fall 2008 bangle necklace knockoff and a red bucket hat. A black butterfly fascinator descending on the side of my head and a jewelled crown on ballet flats.

An detailed belt worn as a necklace, a sequinned bolero and a woven bag. Another red hat with a floral scarf which I got to keep! Together it makes me look like a flight attendant of sorts.

A necklace from France by a brand called Mille-Feuille - appropriate considering the layers and details in the necklace. It wouldn't look out of place on Marie Antoinette. A truly enormous blue and white collection.

Fierce Cossack. Look at this hat. Love at first sight. With maroon velveteen Melissa jelly shoes and Zara trapeze dress.

Masks from Venice for the Masquerade goer.

A beautiful cream lace dress by Collette Dinnigan hanging by the window

A pink froth of a fascinator paired with wooden, hand-painted eggs and an envy-inducing Dior saddlebag.

A 60s style chair in cherry red paired with the promised Dries Van Noten Fall 2008 bangle necklace knockoff and a red bucket hat. A black butterfly fascinator descending on the side of my head and a jewelled crown on ballet flats.

An detailed belt worn as a necklace, a sequinned bolero and a woven bag. Another red hat with a floral scarf which I got to keep! Together it makes me look like a flight attendant of sorts.

A necklace from France by a brand called Mille-Feuille - appropriate considering the layers and details in the necklace. It wouldn't look out of place on Marie Antoinette. A truly enormous blue and white collection.

Fierce Cossack. Look at this hat. Love at first sight. With maroon velveteen Melissa jelly shoes and Zara trapeze dress.

So many gorgeous things! I wouldn't even know where to begin ... although I do covet the pink hat with the veil trim. :)
ReplyDeletethose masks are AMAZING! :O your mum has awesome stuff!
ReplyDeleteSO JEALOUS OF ALLLLLLL THE ACCESSORIES, sorry for pulling a kanye west capslock spree. but they're all too gorgeous and the last dress is so epic.
ReplyDeleteI love that word; gallivanting. By the way, wonderful blog. I adore the floral decor!!
ReplyDeleteHi, just found ur blog while blogwalking...
ReplyDeleteUhh, I heart ur style!! and the floral decor was awesome!
<3 <3
oh wow, so many beautiful things :)
ReplyDeleteMy mother was also my first "fashion icon", and what's more is she had a clothes shop. It was pretty cool to grow up with that, sadly when we moved to NZ, she left/gave away most of her stuff :(
Wow. I don't even know which to comment on, your mother really is one stylish woman! It sure is in your genes, you must have so much fun getting into that closet! I hope you inherit all this...
ReplyDeleteYour mother's place seems to be a mecca to which girls should make pilgrimages to!! Am insanely jealous you had the privilege of frolicking among her things. My gosh, even the china collection is enthralling.
ReplyDeleteHahaha, only girls truly understand the lengths we go to to satisfy our clothing fetishes - my boyfriend was reading the comments on my post and he was like "Woah, I never realise your clothes could actually restrict you from using the bathroom" LOL.
Those masks and that lace, ahhh I love!
ReplyDeleteThank you all for your comments!
ReplyDeletea cat of impossible colour: at times, I don't know where to start either!
romantic apple: those masks come in handy for costume parties, that's for sure!
simply steph: YOU ARE A LAUGH! hehe kanye west capslock spree indeed. love it. the last dress is currently my mum's favourite so you two are fashion soulmates ;)
fashion chalet: thank you! you're wonderful ;)
mira maulia: hi and thanks for dropping by! i am on my way to check out your blog and add you to my links right now!
v: sad about your mum giving away most of her stuff during the move. oh no!
louise: inheritance is a long way yet, louise, thank goodness ;)
marcella: the china collection has often astounded me ;) and i love the comment your boyfriend made! hehe. they have no idea sometimes.
shen-shen: thank you! the lace dress is wonderful. now if only i could fit into it...
that lace mask is so pretty!!!!
ReplyDeleteRosanna: thanks so much!
ReplyDeleteMarina: That's very sweet of you, Marina. However, I've look at your site and it doesn't look like a fashion blog. It seems like it sells boots. I'm only putting bona fide fashion/style blogs on my links list. Sorry!
lol wow .......
ReplyDeletei love the hair accessories.
your mom's place is like a museum!
ReplyDelete