A friend recently told me I've been on the go since I was fourteen. I laughed and didn't ask her for any further details about what that might mean. I used to scoff at peers who took gap years, working in sticky, scuddy bars, temping around a foreign country at one hundred and forty words per minute, doing their hair nice to stand in an almost empty store listlessly rearranging racks of clothing for eight to ten hours or so. Now, I want to be there with them. I want a section in my CV with time carved out for a big white blank. I'll think about what to label it later. I want to be embarrassed by the stupid jobs I worked, downsize all my earthly possessions, and for once, be lost in a city where buildings are so high you have to crane your neck to look at the sky. Let's slow it down. I don't want to be on the go anymore.






Let's check out of this place together.

Every once in a while is good to slow down and enjoy a quiet time. I think you deserve it!
ReplyDeleteso many people are so busy. many, many people (NOT YOU) talk on and on about how busy they are and it seems as if they are showing off and trying to make themselves sound important. (specifically i am thinking of MY BOSS and our ultra wealthy clients forever exclaiming how busy they are, and meanwhile they have a maid, a nanny, a driver, a financial advisor, an assistant, a personal shopper, a gardener, etc. to take care of their "basic" needs). or maybe i am just sour grapes as my life isn't that crazy busy and i value relaxing over being stressed out and busy and perpetually on the go. sometimes it is nice to chill, relax, explore, and take it all in at a leisurely pace. i'll take that any day over scrambling, rushing, hurrying and panicking. sadly i seem to make time for both approaches to life. ach. such is life.
ReplyDeleteYou never really struck me as being always on the go before. Then again, our friendship was forged through blogging and letters, so...
ReplyDeleteSlow it down if you need to and do make time to enjoy it. ♥
P.S. Yes, I have seen North and South. It always manages to get me teary-eyed no matter how many times I watch it. The musical score is beautiful, too. I should try tracking down a copy.
I haven't stopped by in a while Ana, but I'm so happy that I did. Your words and photos are always so pleasant and refreshing. As is your new(?) blog layout. Love!
ReplyDeleteI'm currently slowing down for the first time in awhile, and let me tell you, it's absolutely amazing. While a lot of my friends have jumped into graduate school and jobs after we all graduated, I'm taking the time to travel and figure out what I really want in life. It's absolutely fantastic.
ReplyDeleteI want to roam free forever! I am forced to work to fund my tavels but being a teacher schools want 12 months of your time....willing to share 6 months out of the year...Still decinding on taking 12 months of work next year or saying 'no' and scraping by just to be free :/ LOVE YOUR PHOTOS! Latest follower.
ReplyDeleteMele from Australia
I am SO excited to have found your blog.
ReplyDeleteThis post literally captured my exact thoughts about, oh, only a minute ago!
I have huge wanderlust, and just want to adventure. I totally think we should go on those adventures!
Great reading yyour post
ReplyDelete