This is my second year spending the majority of the holiday season alone. A self-confessed hermit friend of mine recently confided that she found herself wrapped in a blanket pretending to be a penguin, making penguin noises in the house she lives in alone with her dog. I found this equal parts hilarious, adorable, bittersweet, and alarming, all at the same time. Aren't these the emotions which confront you whenever you find yourself marooned, alone on your self-made island, for more than a couple of weeks? Worry that you enjoy your company a bit too much. Anxiety that you aren't normal relative to people your age. Boredom the minute you run out of things to do. Bliss when you find the hours flying, engaged in something you really enjoy doing, with music in the background, and the storm coming. There's an art in being alone but not lonely. So long as you don't overdo it!
PS: You love Frankie? You'll love Oh Comely.







♥ Dress from Dotti ♥ Bag from Glassons ♥ Hat from The Warehouse ♥ Sandals from Number One Shoe Warehouse ♥ Bracelet is gifted Magazine is Oh Comely ♥
Well said, Ana. There certainly is an art in being alone. I find that some people just don't understand that being alone doesn't always equal lonely. I try to enlighten when I can.
ReplyDeleteMy goodness. Every time I think you and Rob have outdone yourselves with a photo shoot, you share another so incredible it makes my eyes dance! These are lovely in every essence of the word.
Oh my, I certainly understand what you mean. On a lighter note, I do very much love your dress. I can't wait to be able to wear airy summer dresses again!
ReplyDeletehttp://onegladmorning.blogspot.com/
:(
ReplyDeleteƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
"There's an art in being alone but not lonely."
ReplyDeleteThat's so true and it took me years to understand it and be able to be alone without feeling sorry for myself.
xxx
I crave being alone. I unfortunately still live with the parentals and someone is always home...I hate it! I just want to be able to have peace and quiet. But its usually that way, we want what we havent got, right?
ReplyDeleteAnyhow your photos are beautiful, and the print on your dress is just lovely.
Rose
As an only child,I totally understand the art of being alone an not being lonely!I love it!
ReplyDeleteLooking so pretty in that lovely frock,by the way!
XXX
Hahaha! Yes, all those emmotions when I'm by myself and then some! Especially the "am I a freak for wanting to be and enjoying being alone?" and "do you think I'm missing out on something - nah!" And! you look ravishing here - really, that one of you in the chair looking up! So pretty! P.S. Happy New Year's Eve and New Year - I hope 2011 is a spectacular year for you! XOXO
ReplyDeletethose shots are amazing! really love the way you dress yourself!
ReplyDeleteYou look great!
ReplyDeleteLoving your style.
ReplyDeleteThose shoes are really cute on you.
Enjoy the holidays! :)
amazing outfit!! that dress looks so cute! i love it :)
ReplyDeleteCute blog! You're cute! I'm following you. Well said about being alone vs. being lonely. I do embrace my "being-alone" alot since others seem to be demand me. "Mom, where's my green Ninja Turtles sock?" "Hon, have you seen my car keys?" "Peon, where is that report on last night meeting?" "Student, pop quiz next week." "BFF, did you post those pictures from last night?"
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures as always Ana! And I can really relate to you a lot about being lonely vs. alone becuase I've been in both situations. I'm not a social person so I tend to hate going to events or even going out in public (I know it sounds crazy!) but I do it because it's expected human behavior and normal. I enjoy being by myself a lot but I also love spending time with my closest friends and talking to them. I just feel it's hard for me to find someone who I can completely connect with and understand each other. Oh, well, some day :-). Wishing you a wonderful New Year! xoxoxoxoxoo
ReplyDeleteYour photos are always so dreamy and lovely. Hope you have a great new year x
ReplyDeleteHello! I was here, asking for friendship. ;) Would you like to follow each others blogs? Advance Happy New Year. :D
ReplyDeleteyour pictures have such a lovely, soft quality :)
ReplyDeleteAwwww suuuuch nice pictures :)
ReplyDelete