The Front Room Links

11 August 2010

passages from a lagoon


The geography of this island can describe the situation for the locals. Home is a placid lagoon which, when the sun is right, the sea, sand, and reefs combine to make a spectacular shimmering blanket of blue, white and tan. It is paradise, in all its cliched, tropical glory. Home is enclosed by a coral reef sheltering a lagoon, much of which has been protected as a marine reserve.

The Cook Islands is a foundling economy heavily reliant on aid, tourism, and remittances. An entire generation is absent, driven unwillingly out of the country to find jobs and a better future. Despite this, they smile, place tropical flowers in their hair, and cheerfully serve and share their home with the thousands of strangers who come to visit all year round. I watched the waves break every day and night on those reefs, crashing and churning. The waves never stopped coming and they never stopped pounding. And yet, try as they might, they never caused more than a mere ripple in the lagoon.

♥ For more of my Rarotonga pictures (digital, Fuji instax, Lomo underwater 35 mm, and Polaroid), visit my Flickr set 33 Kilometres in Rarotonga



14 comments:

  1. Sounds like an amazing vacation! Heading for your Flickr right now so you can expect a few comments...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Rarotonga. It's a very special place. I went there for the second time by myself as a stop over after 6 months travelling overseas and it was the perfect place for me to recollect myself. I did nothing but walk the beach, eat at cafes and restaurants, read and talk to the locals. The last day I was there I sat on the beach with all my worldly possessions and swam in the sea. I came back to new Zealand salty and sun burnt. I LOVE your pictures. They take me back there xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. these photos are amazing. i love the periwinkle blue color alongside the orange color. just love.

    and the last shot?! faaaaaaantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the photos, Ana. I enjoyed viewing those in your Flickr account as well. Gorgeous.

    I hope your vacation was as restful as you needed it to be. Best wishes regarding the new work challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you had a lovely time Ana.
    Your photos are lovely, how i wish I was some where like that right now.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks stunning. I love the feel to each photograph. So peaceful! :) I esp love the one of your floral dress & you're holding the sea erchants etc :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHY DON'T I LIVE IN SUCH A PLACE. God I would kill for a tropical beach getaway right now... and these pictures aren't helping either, so pretty so pretty
    -indigo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your description on the island - I had such a wonderful picture in my head after reading that! Sounds like you are having a much earned rest and a magical time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful photos, goes well with the story xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow..breathtaking shots..all of them..tq for sharing ...God bless

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous photos and description! I'm kind of mesmerized by the amazing colors in that first grouping!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh this where your current photos where from? Looks so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. SO beautiful! I would put your photos on my wall in a heartbeat! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. what gorgeous photos. i'm going to the beach soon and i hope i can capture moments like this but we'll see...

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?