“Once, in my father’s bookshop, I heard a regular customer say that few things leave a deeper mark on a reader than the first book that finds its way into his heart. Those first images, the echo of words we think we have left behind, accompany us throughout our lives and sculpt a palace in our memory to which, sooner or later—no matter how many books we read, how many worlds we discover, or how much we learn or forget—we will return.”
The Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Ruiz Zafon
For such a lofty quote, I fear that my earliest book choices didn't so much as sculpt a palace but rather, cobbled together a Barbie mansion. Embarrassed and anxious as I am about that list, you can peer at it on my listography and laugh to yourself. I've also included books I've read later in life which have always remained in my thoughts. I'd love to hear your list too!



Ooooo, love those earrings!
ReplyDeleteI love the quote and couldn't agree more! The first book that ever made it into my heart was 'My Ántonia' by Willa Cather and till this day I still own several copies of it (I feel the compulsion to buy it whenever I see a second hand copy of it)... it was life changing and remains important to me.
ReplyDeleteAlso, gorgeous photos Ana! You and your man are amazing.... ♥
I think "A prayer for Owen Meany" is the very first book which brought me to tears. Amazing photos as always. xxx
ReplyDeletefabulous post x
ReplyDeleteI love this post. Pretty pictures and I like the quote.
ReplyDeleteThe books I most remember having an impression on my younger self:
ReplyDelete- Anything by Enid Blyton, especially the "Malory Towers" series
- Nancy Drew books, and also The Hardy Boys
- And of course The Babysitters Club books...man I loved them!
My favourite adult books include anything by Frannie Flagg (I love the sense of community in her novels), The Shore of Women by Pamela Sargent and so many others that I can't think of them all!
So pretty and elegant. I read your list - love W.H. Auden - one of my fave poets - very special. I haven't read the Sweet Dreams series but I did read Sweet Valley High! Does that count? :0)
ReplyDeleteso sweet...
ReplyDeleteI can't think of my first book that left an impression, but your decor looks absolutely gorgeous, and these photos are really really beautiful, I can't even imagine how you took such lovely low light photos without any graininess!
ReplyDeletethose earings are amazing! so beautiful!
ReplyDeleteTerrific post, Ana. I love the quote and find myself agreeing with it. L.M. Montgomery's books did the sculpting for me in my youth and still do on occasion. Ever since reading Howard's End by E.M. Forster last year, I find myself returning to it in my thoughts quite often.
ReplyDeleteI love listography!
ReplyDeleteI'm adding you to favorites. Hey, i don't judge on book choices.
beautiful, beautiful photos!!
ReplyDelete