The Front Room Links

23 January 2010

ephemeral nature of travel

6,768 Miles Apart is back after a long, long holiday break. And it's a POLAROID SPECIAL! Click click.

I've only been back for a week and its as though I never left. I sometimes wonder about that girl in Europe, wrapped up like a dumpling in her thick black coat, trying to catch snowflakes with her hand. She feels like someone else. To travel is to try to pin down the ephemeral nature of memories. With words, photos, or a cuckoo clock handcarried from Switzerland all the way back home. But you can never really go back.

1 -- Thank you to all those who sent in their addresses for the Postcard/Polaroid grab. Unfortunately, I know that some of you may not have received yours yet. I did spend three hours at PostItalia post shops in five different lines to send handfuls of postcards so I am praying and wishing it'll get to you soon!

2 -- While I was away, Rosie Dawson-Hewes, a journalist for the Dominion Post, Wellington's daily newspaper, wrote an article about fashion blogs and included me in a little list of Wellington fashion blogs to check out. See the article here at Rosie's blog, Style for Breakfast.


3 -- I will be replying to ALL YOUR COMMENTS shortly. Promise. I love to do it and am sad I haven't got round to catching up.




♥ Top from Valley Girl ♥ Skirt from Glassons ♥ Shoes from Rubi at Cotton On ♥ Bag is gifted ♥ Hair bow from Equip ♥

33 comments:

  1. Yes, very strange you were "there" (i.e. Europe) and now you're "here" (i.e. NZ)....the memories will keep you enriched for a long time to come however! They will float up into your mind's eye when you're least expecting it!! I find that happens anyway!

    Lovely post as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on being included in the article, that's so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that feeling! Sometimes I wonder if I had really walked the streets of Paris too. Or maybe it was all but a dream. It seems so surreal to me now.

    You look lovely in florals and the cuckoo clock is so adorable!! Congrats on the feature too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always feel the exact same way after coming back home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cutest cuckoo clock EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are soooo gorgeous!!! I love the theme of your blog and I will definitely follow you now!!!!


    muah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love traveling... it gives you a chance to reinvent yourself, which you don't get to do too often...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first paragraph is so beautiful. Wow. I know exactly what you mean. Also, I love all the flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like how you put your pictures together, so creative.

    I like to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know just what you mean about your travelling self being different ... I look back on our big Europe trip last year and I can't quite believe that was me.

    Gorgeous cuckoo clock! I've been in love with them since a teacher lent me an old Victorian book about people who lived in a cuckoo clock. They always seem magical to me.

    And congratulations on the mention in the article, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i live in new zealand. i love coming home here, but sometimes think it is so very small. i just wish i lived in a bigger more busier place.

    but of course, new zealand will always be home to me. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm totally with you and love your flower pictures as well. We're going back home after being in Europe for a few months and are going to make another move soon.
    Home will be great but it's interesting how perceptions of different places and even home evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, i love the photos with the roses included!

    ReplyDelete
  14. congrats on your feature, you're so deserving! i really like that sweet floral tank too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, I found you via Diana's blog!! LOVE your photos too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. can't wait to receive the postcard! will let you know once I receive them : ) and congrats on the feature!! keep posting amazing photos, i love them xo

    ps: hopefully one day i'll travel to your side of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That feeling like you've never actually left seems to happen the minute that you get home too -- and then even when you look at photos, doesn't it feel like it was so long ago?

    Congratulations on the mention of your blog!! Have a lovely day!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So whimsical, so vintage. I love those faded roses.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Congrats on the article! I love that skirt - especially the the gray with the floral pattern on your tank.

    ReplyDelete
  20. the transition can be so jarring. Just thinking about getting on a plane one place and getting off 5 hours later half way around the world is kind of mindblowing. You look great as usual. And I love that clock!
    -indigo

    ReplyDelete
  21. congratulations on the feature...we missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your photographs! how'd you put them in thos different sizes? I tried once but it didn't really work :) hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. "To travel is to try to pin down the ephemeral nature of memories." I love the way you worded that, Ana, and I know that feeling well. Your cuckoo clock is uh-mazing! It's always been a dream of mine to bring one home from Switzerland, too :)

    Congrats on the mention in the newspaper article!

    This happy dose of lovely imagery is just what I needed to start my day off right. The little bow in your hair is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That clock is so perfect! :)

    Yes, it must be very strange to go from winter on one continent to summer on another!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, just found your blog, it's so great and cute!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Welcome back :). Congrats on the article mention, nice thing to come home to!

    ReplyDelete
  27. beautiful collection of photos::!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. How, how, how have I not come across your blog before?! It took a trip through an international one to get here. And I'll be anchoring here for a good while. :)

    Your cuckoo clock is so great, a very careful hand to bring it all the back. x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your photos on this entry! especially with the flowers on the foreground. great DOF and tones!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?