The Front Room Links

11 November 2009

self-help shame


UPDATE: 6,768 Miles Apart - Diana and I's photographic collaboration - is being hosted by Diana this fortnight. Click on the picture below to be taken there!



My workmates and I were forced to attend a seminar about Marcus Buckingham's book "Strengths Finder". We spent thirty minutes answering a timed questionnaire with delicious questions like "When given a choice would you rather clean or rest?" and "Are tears a part of your life?". This recent brush with the self-help/self-improvement genre reminded me of a couple of years back when I braved embarassment at the public library by checking out a self-help book entitled "Why You're Still Single". If you're thinking of reading this book, I'll tell you the answer now - you're still single because you're reading this book rather than throwing back those cocktails, shimmying into your Freakum Dress, and showing those folks all the goodies you've got to share. Trust! Go on...share your self-help book shame.


♥ Blouse and clutch are thrifted ♥ Skirt from Glassons ♥ Pearl bracelet and ring gifted from mother ♥ Chain & leather bracelet from Diva ♥ Sunglasses from Cotton On ♥

31 comments:

  1. I completely agree! This idea that being single is in some way a failure on the singles' part and that if you do certain things you will find love is just completely ridiculous.

    I don't think I've ever read a proper self-help book, but I did read an academic book about what makes people persuasive (changing Minds by Howard Gardner it was called I think) which wasn't far off. It was quite interesting, but not really very practical, and like with the singledom, I think if you start obsessing about how you can persuade people you end up wasting your energy and you might as well stop worrying and just go out and do things. In my defence, I went to see him speak for work and they were handing out the book at the seminar, so its not as if I bought it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet Ana! I recently discovered Diana's blog and today yours.

    Society is a judgmental hag. Don't ever settle just to not be single. We are all doing a million other things and being selective so it's totally cool to just live your life the way you want it. It took me 28 years to meet the Mr. - he was NOT like anyone I'd dated before (I thought I had a "type") but he is the ultimate partner. And we're going to Taiwan and Philippines to meet the families - woot.
    Enjoy singledom and never settle.

    I know we just met, but totally working on my blogroll and you are on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing ana! my self help book of shame (that i've embarrassingly smuggled out of public libraries as well) was "if this is love, why do i feel so insecure?" and tons of other books like that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read more books on dieting than I care to think about. It always comes down to one thing...I love food and hate being sweaty, so the books are pretty useless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great combo, my dear!


    If U have a mood, look at my giveaway!


    X♥X♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! My book before I got married was about how to catch the right guy for you.:)

    I don't know if I've caught a "good catch" but the important thing is he knows how to say I'm sorry, is responsible and we can be painfully honest with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grey + Pink = Oh Oui!

    Hmmm book of shame... Bridget Jones?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i don't really have any self help books to share but i am currently reading an autobiography of a porn star which is not normal reading material but i'm learning a lot! (and i'm kind of embarrassed to talk about it).
    p.s. i loooove that grey skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've read self help books on cleaning and organizing. apparently i'm a mess inside, too but i couldn't stop laughing at some.
    my life should have been horrible and devastating because of that pile of laundry in the corner- so silly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. damn those self help books! i can't stand them. maybe that is why i am such a trainwreck! i guess i don't want to change a whole lot, except for the single thing. i won't be picking up that book! a hahh ah ahahahah

    you look super in these shots. pink and gray -- a super classic look that is lovely on you.

    and now. your music comment. hootie and the blowfish and the simpsons cassette?!?!? zhhahahahahha!!!! i am not much better. i think my first cassette was best of blondie (STILL COOL), but i think my second cassette was huey lewis and the news. or maybe it was men at work. or maybe it was greg kihn. HA! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could not agree more, AnaB! Those books always kind of freaked me out- but I've definitely done some Oprah stuff ( I think that could be counted as self-help- with great airbrushing ;)).
    Loooove your outfit too! It's wonderful reading you blog because us Northern Hemispherers can pretend it's spring (and not dripy, cold fall)- Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that blouse is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. my mother bought me dr. laura's book and men are from mars... for our wedding lol. I haven't read them.

    You look lovely my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you are adorable!!

    Love the blog xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. lovelovelove your outfit! the details on that top are so sweet.

    haha, and i love what you said about being single. my roommate and i used to spend so much time wondering why we didn't have boyfriends, all the while spending our evenings eating and watching too much sex and the city and/or the oc.

    ReplyDelete
  16. lol good post - I have to check that 'freakum dress' link lol.

    I have quit smoking books at home - I struggle with that :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. rest or clean? what sort of question is that! rest of course! I'm a lazy slob. your pinks and grays look gorgeous together
    -indigo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my!! Have I done the self help genre!!...and actually there was a bit of sage advice burried amongst it all and it did help (you know the 20s can be a little traumatic!). Wayne Dwyer was my favourite....must re-visit some of his books - he's a bit of a genius - although he's gone a little airy fairy of late - the ones I read were written in the 70s I think. Also "How to win Friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie is a cracking good read surprisingly!!! I got it in a second hand bookshop a few months ago - it's a classic!!

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahaha that's funny. good advice! Love the outfit!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pink and gray are lovely colors on you. Your blouse has the sweetest detail, too. I love the juxtaposition of natural and artificial light in the fourth photo. The glow from the lamp really holds its own rather than being overshadowed (hehe) by the ray of sunshine. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. why do people read these kinds of book?

    i've been single for a long time before i meet my husband. but i never read anything like this kind. I guess i don't want to dissect every single thing "wrong" in me. hahahaha. I guess it's a choice for me not to date for that long.

    btw i love the combination of your top with the grey skirt.

    btw great idea with your online store. you have nice items there

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, girl! You have no idea -- I LOVE self-help books! Anytime I feel down, unproductive, confused about where I'm going in life, overwhelmed, etc., I find a good self-help book [or pick up an old one I've read before] and get myself back in gear! My favorites tend to be either spiritual/psychological books on happiness or coaching/efficiency books on forming better habits. They always give me the little push I need to get out of a rut.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't think I've ever read a proper self-help book but give me a while, I'm still young.

    Also, this outfit is so so pretty. That blouse and the hem on the skirt! Pink and grey is such an underrated color combination and you own it here!

    ReplyDelete
  24. haha funny and pretty!

    um does the Bible count as a self help book?

    ReplyDelete
  25. you've been tagged for a blog award! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. i only own one self-help book: anatomy and physiology for dummies! and i think it should count more as a textbook aid than a self-help book, right?

    i LOVE your grey skirt! especially paired with the pink top. so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ah yes, sooner or later we all have to turn to Trademe to free up some capital! I do believe the only reason the boy agrees to helping me shoot boxes of clothes for my listings is that after all, the more I sell the more of his wardrobe he can claim back.

    Potentially.

    ReplyDelete
  28. some of your photos are lovely! and the blue cardi too. gonna drop by againt o read your blog properly.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?