The Front Room Links

31 August 2009

chill out. have some Socrates & some spring flowers

UPDATE: Please check out Diana's interview with the Patient Photographer of this blog here.

Wow. Check out this thread about the blogs people seem to love to hate here. All I know is, it's so much easier to criticise other people's creative outputs as opposed to turning an objective eye on your own content. People believe they see bullshit and call bloggers out for a lack of authenticity because *gasp* they spend their money on expensive things!!! Because the fact that your clothes are from chain stores (most probably made by children and adults in less-developed countries with little to no minimum labour standards) makes you so much more virtuous, right?

There is no one agreed viewpoint as to what a blog should or should not consist of. And that multiplicity of viewpoints is to be defended. By all means, feel free to constructively criticise content. But be careful that that exercise doesn't bleed into what is, basically, a lot of self-indignant ranting. Lovely ladies and readers of this blog, thank you for your support, your patience, your manners, and your friendship. I'm more grateful for it now than ever before.

Recommended reading: Socrates on money, happiness & virtue.




♥ Cardigan from Glassons ♥ Dress & Flats from Witchery ♥ Necklace is vintage ♥ Ring from Diva ♥ Sunglasses from Cotton On ♥ Location: Truby King Home & Garden

44 comments:

  1. So I actually found that link through your tweets with Diana and Christina and have been reading through it. Super crazy. I can't imagine myself getting that worked up about disliking any bloggers (because if I did, I just wouldn't read their stuff) but it was very interesting. And, it led me to your blog, so at least something good came out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some people just have too much time on their hands. I don't always agree with people or like the outfits they post, but I would never write something mean about someone else.

    On a lighter note, I really like your vintage necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos!

    Also, hear hear about those that waste time and effort ranting about other blogs. I read soo many blogs and actually follow quite a few on igoogle that I don't exactly see eye to eye with with their choices...BUT I follow them because of their courage to wear certain things and they really do intrigue me. Plus, more often than not, open my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came across that "rant" a week or so ago and it's all just a load of rubbish. People can be so childish sometimes, there's no proper way to blog and no set of rules for bloggers to follow. For some blogger to say another blogger is doing the wrong this is just a bit petty.

    Love the dress, you're obviously loving the warmer NZ weather as much as I am :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw that link on twitter yesterday and it sort of pissed me off for most of the afternoon. It really is nothing but *whine whine whine* these people have more money than me therefore I hate them.

    I could never afford expensive clothes, but so what if others can? They're not hurting anyone. I also love how they say that if you can't handle criticism, you should have a private diary yet they get up in arms when someone rightfully calls them out on their bullshit. Also there's a difference between criticism and being an asshole.

    Some of the crap this woman said was really offensive. The whole pictures of disgusting food comment really bugged me. I don't know who this luxirare girl is or what her background is, but maybe some of the food she eats she grew up with and is part of her culture (I looked at some older entries). Just because it might be different then the food I'm used to eating doesn't make it disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was shocking, a little shocking at first. I mean some have a point, but all the hatred? Where's it coming from?

    What's not to love. Everybody's entitled to their opinion but sometimes people are just mean and bully. I feel sorry for those bloggers butchered there just because they can afford to buy stuff. I love them. They have nice things and they're cool and i love their SHOES! hihihhii.

    Obviously it came all from a hate blog. So what can you expect from it but all the ugly things. Now am afraid for my blog. Seriously it made me doubt myself for a while there.

    i love your photos. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. authenticity is about one being true to themselves, and if that entails dropping 300 dollars on a pair of shoes, then so be it. People just need to be more open minded.
    Your dress is so so so pretty. I want it. I keep forgetting that while I am waiting eagerly for fall, the southern hemisphere is welcoming in spring.
    -indigo

    ReplyDelete
  8. ana, well said my dear, well said! you are as cute as ever in these photos (and i liked the interview diana did of your very special photographer too!) i find all of the ranting and hatred very sad. it's easier to rant and to spread negativity than it is to love. that's why the world simply is the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are some blogs, where I really don't understand what the hype is about but I wouldn't post my silly ramblings about them on the internet. After all, there's a real person behind each blog, who puts effort into it and where's the point in making them feel bad?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just don't get it, personally. Why waste your energy looking at or commenting on a blog you don't like, for whatever reason? I'm all for intelligent criticism, overall, but I just think it's unproductive and pointless to attack. Like you said, it just draws attention to the person who is being a hater. It's like anything else, if you don't like it, move on. Of course, it's difficult not to notice that often the most badly written, badly conceived blogs are many times the ones that get loads of attention, because so many people are out there looking [not for inspiration, or joy, or knowledge] but rather for a butt to kiss or a person to kick down in order to make themselves feel better. Sad but true. In the case of a blog like Sea of Shoes, I agree with you!! This girl has more money than god, sure, but she also happens to be creative, kind, and she cultivates a very interesting, mature aesthetic that is just phenomenal for someone her age. It's hard not to take notice...and in the case of some people, it's hard not to be envious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These images are just so serenely beautiful. Delicate blossoms always seem to equate tranquility for me.

    Wishing you an excellent Monday & week ahead!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I first read it yesterday, it was worth a giggle or two. Then as I scrolled down to read the comments, it was just so immature. The woman who wrote it is a grown woman who is picking on a high-schooler and girls thrice as young her age. You would think she would be comfortable with herself by now. Also, we may not all agree with the blogs, but there is an audience for each one. Insulting one blog, is insulting the readership.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sheesh, some people ust enjoy drama. They read blogs they hate and then they want to talk about it so they get attention? I don't know, I don't really understand that sort of thing. I stumble upon a lot of blogs that I don't particularly enjoy, and I just never revisit them. Not a big deal.

    You're lovely, though! :) What pretty pictures! And you've got an award over at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. your photos are so soothing and beautiful.

    I totally agree with you....I am going to read it now, but I am totally with you

    ReplyDelete
  15. The whole thing just drives me crazy - people just have to have something to criticize to be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum, you've totally turned me over onto Witchery. Everytime i feel the urge to shop, Witchery is my first stop (followed closely by Ruby, hehehehehe)!

    And wow, that post is filled with rage.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All that blog-bashing is insane! Each blog isn't there to please everyone, so if they don't like it then they shouldn't waste their time reading and whining about it. I hope I never get readers like that.

    PS. you look pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That dress is so cool! I love that it's sheer.

    I really appreciated your commentary on the blogging issue. I wish people would just live and let live.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I got intrigued by this post and so I followed the link. Very disappointing. Most of the comments are too personal and below the belt.

    On the lighter side, so loving your flowy/gauzy white dress and your photos are fabulous as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with you. It's so easy to criticize something/somebody, and it tends to come out easier than a nice comment. I believe in constructive criticism, and i'm more than open to receive it in any form.
    Talking about blogs in particular, there're so many blogs out there, then why bother criticizing one when you should be spending your time enjoying the ones you like? Unless you have something that's gonna help make it better, then i think you should keep those negative thoughts to yourself.

    I'm loving these pics, so spring-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well said.

    You look gorgeous, m'dear and I'm happy to see those tortoise shell wayfarers :)

    I wanted to make this comment longer, but I'm rushing so I'll e-mail you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a gorgeous sheer dress!! It's so lovely, romantic and sensual!! I think it's always interesting to read what other people think about blogs but I like constructive criticism and not negative and plain mean commentary. I wish that people would treat blogging just the same way they would treat a person: with respect and love. xxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. it seems so simple to me -- if you hate a blog DON'T GO TO IT. not that tricky. but whatever. i guess that isn't really the point.

    anywhooooooooooooo

    i love your style and your outfit in this post. and those flowers are just beautiful.

    i also loved the post diana did! whee!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh no!! That sounds super scary in my opinion Ana B! Why would people pull someone else's blog apart? Why not just move on if you don't like it? I'm almost too scared to look at the link!!

    On a happier note - LOVE your pretty photos - it was so nice to read about your intrepid photographer on Diana's blog!! Together you put together some really pretty posts -0 this one with the light and gorgeous spring flowers is no exception! Have a lovely week sweetie!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic post Ana, I couldn't agree more. When it comes to blogging (and life) I have such contempt for people who spend their time trashing others. On a related subject, have you heard of the Model Liskula lawsuit against a blogger who called her a skank on her site? There's a great article *HERE*.

    Also and more importantly, beautiful photographs as always and I loved reading about your very talented photographer!

    *bises*

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your dress. So lovely, and it's perfect for your background. =D

    Summer
    A Writers Den
    Brown Mestizo

    ReplyDelete
  27. thankyou ever so much for your lovely comment dear, and these pictures are so prety and beautiful ♥

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am in complete agreement here! It seems like a lot of people just like being an asshole but try to disguise it as constructive criticism.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well said about the blogging criticism.

    Love that dress. You look beautiful in it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a horrifying comment thread. It made me feel almost sick. This sort of thing is so common on the Internet, and it's just so petty and below-the-belt. I feel very lucky to have such a positive community of bloggy friends!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Once again beautiful pictures and well laid out.

    I read that 'love to hate' page and it is a sad example of people with too much time and not enough tact!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Witchery always has the nicest things! I see them on you and Niki from flairtoremember. So envious :}

    ReplyDelete
  33. thank you so much for your comment dear! i completely agree with what you said there :) it's so stupid to be a hater and just so undelightful to people. it doesn't bring anything constructive to the world. much love <3

    ReplyDelete
  34. sometimes i do feel guilty when i "invest" in a more expensive/higher quality item because i do feel as though i'm being judged ... but i would much rather support ethical design than spend all my money on cheap clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ooo gorgeous! I'm just obsessed with your dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. That's insane. I can't imagine encouraging people to actually voice a lot of negative things about others. I've met almost only nice people since I started blogging, but I do think there's something about anonymity that makes people feel like they can say things they would never say to someone in person. If you don't care for the way that people are doing things, why not create your own blog or site that does things the way you like? There's no need for such meanness.

    Though on a happier note, this collage is so pretty! I'm envious that you're just heading into your summer and ours is ending here! Though I am looking forward to the change of color that comes with the new season!

    ReplyDelete
  37. You make such beautiful photo collages <3
    I'll confess something - i dont know how to put one together nicely!! no photoshop to experiment with either hehe

    ReplyDelete
  38. okay i feel like i must have missed the first part of your entry! i went back and read that blogger's rant ... and i hate to say this, but i had to quit reading SOS because her extensive collection of designer things just gave me ill feelings. but you know, instead of posting about how i felt ... i just quit reading! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love all of your pics!! great blog!! kisses!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?