The Front Room Links

28 July 2009

in which i use the scary big word "protofeminist"

I watched Coco Avant Chanel in the weekend. My girlfriends and I wilfully swilled gin & tonics and ate cheesecake throughout. I wore black. I was amazingly jealous of the girl in the front row who wore a silver sequinned beret with aplomb. I've always thought of Mademoiselle Chanel as being a fiercely independent, self-made figure. To watch her careening between two men was difficult for me to swallow. What do you call it when someone murders your vision of a proto-feminist figurehead and interprets their success as nothing without the assistance of powerful men? Other may say - realism. I say - disappointing.



♥ T-shirt & Skirt from Glassons ♥ Shoes from H&M ♥ Bracelet from Diva ♥ Ring from market in Luang Prabang, Laos ♥ Peacock background from here

In Aesop's Fables, a peacock complains to the goddess Juno that it's no consolation to him how beautiful he is because when he opens his mouth, he sounds like William Hung. Juno basically tells him, "Shut up and be glad you're not a crow. You know what destiny he has? People run when they see him because he's a sign of bad luck. Would you like that? No. Gosh. Some animals are just never happy, are they?" NOTE: May not be exact translation. For a more faithful rendition, click here.

53 comments:

  1. *laughs* william hung. :D
    i'm surprised that they would edit the film in that way. i watched Chuck Close in the weekend at Te Papa, and some parts of it were so boring i nearly snored through it (thank goodness my sister was there to slap me awake everytime she saw me nodding my head disapprovingly at the screen). Those parts just killed the awesomeness that is Chuck Close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your skirt! Such a gorgeous shape! Your translation is hilarious! :-) xxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely look. what a top. and those shoes...i wanna have.

    stay pretty! have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow great t-shirt, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the translation, hehe! also, gorgeous top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your blog hates me, it won't let me comment!
    I TRIED to say, the makers of the movie think the british are 'tards, it's advertised over here just as Coco before chanel, no 'avant' here, oh no.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *lovely* pictures <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE THE OUTFIT! and THE PEACOCK STORY!!!

    and the disappointing story is DISAPPOINTING!

    so you are a leo too?!?! YAY! FUCKING HOORAY FOR LEOS!

    sorry for all the caps. i think i have had too much caffeine. i need some cheesecake to mellow me out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your new version. ;D And your outfit is so gorgeous! You look great on it. ;D

    Solo
    Travel and Living
    Job Hunt Pinoy

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the peacock feather. may be getting one as a tattoo, havent decided where yet though!
    and i love the skirt..been looking for something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol, i love your translation...you look fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh i feel the same way about feminist idols and reality. now i want to see the flick. and i love your abridged aesop fables. cute photos and great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, that is too bad about the film. Was the storyline based 100% on her life or was it altered a bit by the filmmakers? (I am not up to speed on the background/history of Coco Chanel)

    Your Aesop's translation is a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is the most amazing t-shirt! I love peacock ANYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in love with the shirt. What a beautiful print.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It seems as if directors/producers are often unable to conceive of a story or biography where difficulties with "romance" are not central to that person's character, particularly when it comes to women...sad to hear about this...I'm sure her life was rich and amazing in many other ways besides her romantic-relations.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've heard that they have over-emphasised how important the romances were in her life, which is a pity. I'm less interested in that aspect of her than in her strong and independent personality - and what an amazing businesswoman she was (as well as being an amazing designer, naturally).

    ReplyDelete
  18. haa i vaguely remember that fable... you sound like ur drunk or rather, slightly buzzed in that last paragraph haha. Mmmm cheesecake w/ alcoholic beverages sounds fantabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved reading this post! Cheesecake and gin and tonics...AWESOME :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I cant wait to see that movie - great outfit post xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Not a bad movie at for a Nazi Collaborator :-)

    Oh shit...I think I just Godwin'd this thread!

    ReplyDelete
  23. lol that's a cute version! I love your skirt here and the peacock theme is great too you look like you are about to flounce off to your photography exhibition in some funky and quirky art gallery in the artists and writers district - you could totally wear a silver sequinned beret!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the peacock feathers pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for your sweet comment! Emily and I did have a splendid time. :) And thanks for your frank movie review... I still want to see Coco Avant Chanel, but will keep what you wrote in mind. Also, I love your outfit! Your photos are so bright and creative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. hmmm movies have a way of doing that some times, I am still keen to give the movie a look see. That top looks gorgeous would never have guessed glassons - it looks high street on you

    ReplyDelete
  27. I haven't seen the movie yet. I think both men and women need each other to succeed but I do believe women are the stronger sex,hehe!

    Love your top! Have a nice day ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great! You look awesome on it. And the skirt, lovely! =D

    Summer
    A Writers Den
    The Brown Mestizo

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your top and shoes so much! They are beautiful. Also, I tagged you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the skirt! So pretty. I like how you worn it. Lovely top too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. some people are never happy, this is true, so true. you look beautiful, as always (and i adore peacocks.)

    ReplyDelete
  32. That's too bad about the content of the movie -- I'm not much of a feminist, but it is rather disappointing that there aren't more films that feature women in a real way.

    "He's Just Not That Into You" - whiny women fawning over dreadfully behaving men.

    "The Women" - whiny women fawning over dreadfully behaving men.

    "Definitely, Maybe" - whiny women fawning over one dreadfully behaving man.

    ...the list continues.

    But on a happier note, you have yet again thrown together an absolutely stunning outfit!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh, I haven't seen it yet but I'm sad to hear that's how it's being edited. Lame.

    But what is definitely NOT lame is the way you set up these photos. So creative- I love it!

    And thanks for the link, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  34. hi ana!

    i wanted to let you know i've sent you an email (in case it goes into the spam folder) so do check your inbox :]

    LOVE that t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your version is pretty cool! Love your outfit a ton!

    xo
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  36. hey my dear! love your t-shirt, adorable much!! the weekend's near!! take care! xx

    ReplyDelete
  37. Bah! Yes, I hate when you find someone you admire isn't as strong as you first thought. Disappointing indeed!

    But I love your outfit. Perfect peacock feathering!

    ReplyDelete
  38. oh. I always thought she was really independent too. I still want to see the movie though. But I'm really confused about when it comes out in the states.
    I love the peacock pattern
    -indigo

    ReplyDelete
  39. chanel was all powerful and the juggling of two reputable men was so crazy!! btw, love the glistening sexy shoulder!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Maybe I won't see it because I don't want my vision of her ruined. Same reason I won't read biographies of Bing Crosby. What do you MEAN he was a mean drunk?!
    I'm sorry I haven't been by in ages. I'm feeling lazy so instead of commenting on every post I'll just say that you are your adorable, clever self, as usual. Question: do you call it soccer or football?

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a beautiful shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  42. oh, i really want to see that film :)

    i kept seeing advertisements for it on the underground when i was in london :) cant wait to see it!

    great top bw, i lvoe peacock designs aha
    x
    x
    x
    x

    ReplyDelete
  43. Lovely outfit as always! I adore the peacock blouse especially... crows are bad luck? I always perceive them as good, crows, humming birds and ladybug/birds. (I'm a little superstitious)

    Must see Chanel flicks (both)!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh Gosh! Your photo shoot here is just so gorgeous!...and I love what you said about Coco - yes, she's always been a tough cookie in my mind's eye - hmmmmm...interesting - maybe that isn't paletable enough for today's audience or maybe she was a man dependent type of gal??

    ReplyDelete
  45. oh dear! That is so disappointing to hear! I too thought of CoCo as a feminist before her time... :0( Thank you for letting me know about the disappointment before I see it- I would have been thoroughly heartbroken when I saw it not for your warning.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Ok, that food is making me salivate...and your photos are making me jealous, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  47. cutest tee and cutest skirt...love them (as always)

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?