The Front Room Links

08 April 2009

constant craving


From my hotel room, I look out onto a group of shacks built on top of an abandoned parking building. It took my affluent New Zealander heart a while to believe that they were people's homes. Immediately to the left of these shacks is Greenbelt 1 through to 5 - an empire of a shopping mall featuring acres of fairy-lit palm trees, shiny marble, and monstrous designer stores. Behind the shacks, loom two half-built apartment towers, scaled with scaffolding and cranes. This is Manila - eaten up from inside out by consumerism, Westernisation, unrestrained development and chain stores. Alongside this is the poverty which is never easy to confront. The roads are snarled with traffic. There is a feeling of endless want, endless need - for food, for Vuitton bags, for solace from the intense heat. Here, there is something which must be fed but is never satisfied. Seventeen years ago I left. I am back. But not here to stay.

PS: Thank you for bearing with my wee sojourn into travel blogging. Your comments, as always, delight me. I will be getting back to every single one of you once I touch down in NZ in a week or so.



DSC_5384.NEF
DSC_5389.NEFDSC_5422.NEF
DSC_5542.NEFDSC_5549.NEF
DSC_5558.NEF

22 comments:

  1. oooh, beautiful (and i want that hammock)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you would make a fine fashion blogger. And I guess America is like that in a way, but not to that extreme [that I see, at least.] I mean, in Hollywood you can see a young star walking around the street wearing the most ridiculously expensive clothes while just across the street is a homeless person. It's quite sad.
    But I am so so so jealous of your trip! Your picture in the hammock looks divine :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your travel blogging! :) It's nice to see and hear about other places from a trusted resource.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You in the hammock says it all! I am glad you back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those last 2 photos!

    Your description of Manila remind me a lot of the big cities in Indonesia, and I suppose it applies to most developing countries in the region too. You're right, it is very confronting to see the level of poverty just around the corner from a glitzy malls. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look so peacefull on the hammick. Hope your trip is going well. It's very hard to see poverty up close.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog and your photography!The colors are so vivid.I've been following your blog for months now and can't help it but added you into my blogroll. Hope you don't mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving all your traveling pictures. Makes me wish i got to travel more often. The funny thing about traveling is that you enjoy it while you're there and then when you come home you really miss being somewhere new and exciting. At least that happens to me.

    Hope you're enjoying your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks lovely there but it is so sad the way colonisation can destroy not only a culture but the people and the balanced economy they once had.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You take fantastic travel photos.. it makes me feel like I'm actually there :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it: SILENCE...please. I want to put a sign up like that at my work, or maybe "Don't speak until spoken to."
    I hope you are eating lots of mangos. Hard to find a good mango in Alaska. I used to eat them by the bushel in Mexico. There are actually a lot of Filipinos in Alaska, and when they visit back home I always ask that they bring me some dried mangos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore your blog, because I can see here so many beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. aw wow, pretty pics!

    I'm just starting out with with my blog and am hoping it will turn into something about Melbourne teen fashion... I'd love you to check it out and maybe give me some advice or exchange links?

    ty x.

    http://maybemaddymight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you are having a whirlwind of a holiday flying around asia, ana!

    Your photo posts are making me feel rather nostalgic, it has been years since I've been back to Hong Kong...

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooh traveling! you're doing a good job of sojourning into blogging about it =)

    and the Parthenon in Athens was breathtaking, but we didnt get to go to Pompeii =( there wasn't enough time apparently (which was lame). but we went to Florence, and I climbed the bell tower. Which was... stunning to make an understatement! and Delphi is the cutest town in Greece ever

    ReplyDelete
  16. you take some amazing pictures--I love them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my gosh, gorgeous /.

    ReplyDelete
  18. SILENCE please. a great photo to end with.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i feel the same way too. i love this country but i feel like i don't belong. I can't explain though.

    hope you're having a fabulous saty here. have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such lovely commentary...and what colors!!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?