The Front Room Links

03 February 2009

groundhog day

The Northern Hemisphere is sliding into Spring/Summer collections and fashion spread. As Miranda Priestley drawled acerbically in The Devil Wears Prada, "Florals? For spring? Groundbreaking." I'm tempted to comment - Colour? For spring? Groundbreaking.

Yet, clock the way Vogue UK in its February 2009 editorial, "Light and Fantastic" reinterprets a colourful, light-filled spring, in a completely modern manner with the slightest of nods to 50s bathing beauties. Pastels offset by jolts of hot colours. A breezy sheer white smock with a hot pink bodysuit. Platforms (including those Marni heels) paired with knee-high sheer stockings. A sportswear feel coupled with the romanticism of drapes, lavish necklaces and a floral bathing cap. Even the glimpse of an azure ocean beyond the lavender set is an attempt at contrasting the play of light on the water against the shadows cast by solid objects such as a lissom model against a lavender wall.

This is a collage of my favourite parts. For the complete spread, click here.





Contrast this with a similarly-themed and executed editorial by US Harper's Bazaar from the same month and year. The vibe is feminine, romantic, a little body-con thrown in against all the tailored dresses in a variety of strong colours. The overall direction seems to be glamorous sophisticates at play in their vast and landscaped summer mansions. Although the styling and the dresses are more marketable in terms of styling and cut, the execution by Harper's bores me to death. And while I acknowledge the differences between the demographics, budgets and viewpoints between the two magazines, by comparing these editorials, I find myself appreciating all the various elements and visions that go into lifting a tired old theme (spring colours and light) into a relevant, delicious, and inspired vision of fashion.

This is a selection of the photos. For the rest of the spread click here.


19 comments:

  1. Perfect! Really harmony.

    I love pastel colours!
    AND turquoise sandals are WOW!

    xoxo: Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to find a good 50s or 60s inspired bathingsuit this season. I'm on the hunt.

    Sadly, I'm usually not a fan of pastels. I just look washed out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! These photos are so beautiful! Love the photo w/ the black and white glasses and gray dress. The slight pops of color make these perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these colors are spectacular. it makes me really excited for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can never get enough of pastel colours, and these are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this pictures , the coloures work beautifully together! Very sweet!
    Thanks ever so much for visiting me !!! I hope you have enjoyed my blog and I look forward to keep in touch with you.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this pictures , the coloures work beautifully together! Very sweet!
    Thanks ever so much for visiting me !!! I hope you have enjoyed my blog and I look forward to keep in touch with you.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  8. great find these spreads are so spring
    and loves those sunnies they used
    next level

    *bisous*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous post -- these colors are perfection! Ah, if it were only summer here in the States...(counting down the months!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, the Vogue UK photos were a visual feast!

    Thank you for the sweet comment, Ana. I'm hoping it's just the January blues too!

    I hadn't heard of librarything.com, but I'll head on over and explore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wowww!!! so lovely.
    You are a good writer, u know ?
    you make an interesting post :)
    and about my pict. it's in Rayong, about 3 hours from BKK. beautiful beach. If you want to be here, i can provide some information for you :)

    I hardly have time for blogging but I do love to come back here.
    xoxo,

    Pan's Holiday

    ReplyDelete
  12. ugh! I wish American Vogue had such amazing spreads. But alas, I might just have to suck it up and spend extra money for foreign vogues from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great quote from Devil Wears Prada!
    I love the turquoise water in the Vogue shoot, makes everything look more tempting

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS: I liked Gothic Mary Poppins!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am literally swooning over the colors in the first set! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. "wearable hardware" ;p
    thanks for you comment, those floral sets are so prettty and colorful
    fxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. This color palette reminds me of those old school candies: Smarties. These photo's are equally delish! :)

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?