A cashmere wraparound sweater which I've had since I was 14 has developed holes on the arm seam. My mother brought it back for me from her first trip to Europe. It has been with me through fluctuating weight, inclement weather, many buttered toasts-and-laptop/book sessions in bed, dinner dates, and life in general. It's the one of a small number of constants in my wardrobe, the one that gets chucked into my bag when I hear the nana-voice inside my head to bring a cardigan...just in case.
I will mend the holes. They're only small. But the sight of my poor wee sweater with its sad little rips made me very distressed and sentimental. This occasion reminds me just how much clothes are more than garments to shield us from the weather - they are lifelines with memories woven into their fabric, a reminder of the person you were which ties you to the person you now are. They are home.


I will mend the holes. They're only small. But the sight of my poor wee sweater with its sad little rips made me very distressed and sentimental. This occasion reminds me just how much clothes are more than garments to shield us from the weather - they are lifelines with memories woven into their fabric, a reminder of the person you were which ties you to the person you now are. They are home.


♥ Cardigan from is gifted from United Colours of Benetton ♥ Necklace from Diva ♥ Night-dress from Sussans
♥ Things Which Don't Last ♥












I still wear this skirt my mum got for me when I was 15. It's way too big now, but I hold it up with a belt, and it has ketchup stains, missing sequins, a completely frayed hem that is beyond repair, but I just love it so much! lol... I'm such a pack rat.
ReplyDeleteThank you for showing me how to get the link list! haha.
ReplyDeleteIts a real help. And you are on it. =)
x
i love the photos! :)
ReplyDeletexoxo,
La C.
haha! i have a sweater thats full of holes too but i can't part with it!
ReplyDeleteYour sweater is a gorgeous classic piece. You're right, clothes can hold the most immense sentimentil value.
ReplyDeleteI recently found an old knitted top that I wore on a first date. I wanted to wear it again, but I also found a horribble rip in it!
dude thats so true. thats why we blog right..
ReplyDeletebeautiful pictures. i want to buy something cashmere but alas.. i am a poorbie.
happy new year!
lovee
Aw, poor sweater! I hope it recovers.
ReplyDeleteThat is such a gorgeous and practical sweater. I love how sometimes the most random items of clothing become my favorite - like a random v-neck i got from American Apparel. And I don't realize how much I wear it until it starts developing holes or gets a stain on it.
ReplyDeleteHere's hoping your sweater makes it through another year!
these are great photos!
ReplyDeleteWhat a gorgeous collection of photos. It's always sad when clothes you love begin to fall apart. I had a pair of Sportsgirl jeans that I wore almost everyday for two years. Then then started to wear in the seat. I still wanted to wear them and I had such great times in them that I still haven't managed to throw them out.
ReplyDeleteI just stumbled across your blog! What a great find. :)
ReplyDelete