The Front Room Links

07 November 2008

So Fresh, So Clean: Josh Goot


In this post, I talked about the word "wearable" as a euphemism for "boring". Similarly, when people announce that "less is more", my first reaction is to yawn and roll my eyes. Surely less is just...less? After perusing Australian Josh Goot's Spring/Summer '09 collection, I am mildly convinced that there may be some truth to that overused fashion adage. The simple, clean, and unfussy lines forces you to engage with the cut of the clothes, the silhouette of the garments, and the movement of the fabric. Also, Goot's feel for colour and his inclusion of a divine abstract watercolour pattern coupled with all of the above formed a collection which, to me, was laudable for its quiet confidence. Away from the drama and theatre of the runway which can sometimes overshadow the pieces of a collection, Goot's austere but feminine styling ensured that his clothes remained the focus.



5 comments:

  1. OMG the colors are beautiful.& I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I think I am a less is best girl however adding accessories can really spruce up and outfit and completely change a boring one into something interesting. I think you have to go with how you feel on the day - sometimes you just can't be bothered wearing a million things and just want to be classic and crisp :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yiqin: the colours he used are pretty amazing and i'd love the see them in real life just to see what fabric he used!

    the paper doll: i agree with seeing how you feel on a given day. i always have in the back of my mind coco chanel saying take one thing off before you step out the door - except i tend to do the opposite. i start off really simple and then i get bored and keep putting more and more things on until it looks just ridiculous :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cut and movement of the fabric! You're right, a lot the times "less is more" is a little too boring, but the quality of these pieces prevent them from being hohum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i totally agree! like i said before - i'd love to see these in real life. on my next trip to aussie i may have to make a special detour.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?