Magazines constantly roll out the "how to look fabulous at any age" articles. Usually they amount to nothing more than when 20 fashion is fun wear what you like, when 30 start to invest in structured pieces, when 40 wear black and when 50 and over go batty and go for broke because you should have really stopped caring what others think at that age. The tools hawked by these features go like this -- anti-aging cream, control top underwear, sunscreen, a big hat, water, and some type of exercise. Words along the lines of "mutton dressed as lamb" also appear.
So at what age does it become unacceptable to wear singlets with ice cream cones, heart-shaped earrings, a tiered pale denim mini skirt, a sequinned headband, and pastel pink jelly shoes? At the ripe old age of 24 (positively ancient compared to the youth of you gorgeous fashion bloggers out there!), this is an outfit I would think twice walking out the door in. I realise now that it's only in the past year that I've started policing what I wear, categorising outfits as "too young". This worries me. Fashion is about choice. As you age, your choices seem to become more and more limited. This is an experience which I'm not looking forward to.





So at what age does it become unacceptable to wear singlets with ice cream cones, heart-shaped earrings, a tiered pale denim mini skirt, a sequinned headband, and pastel pink jelly shoes? At the ripe old age of 24 (positively ancient compared to the youth of you gorgeous fashion bloggers out there!), this is an outfit I would think twice walking out the door in. I realise now that it's only in the past year that I've started policing what I wear, categorising outfits as "too young". This worries me. Fashion is about choice. As you age, your choices seem to become more and more limited. This is an experience which I'm not looking forward to.





You can get away with a whole lot more if you look young, and you can pass yourself off as a fashion-innocent teenager if you so choose. You do look rather darling, and I think that gold headband is a great look, regardless of age. I ended up buying the flower clip you have in that second-to-bottom photo, thanks to inspiration from you!!!
ReplyDeleteAh, I hear you girl! I too have reached the ripe old age of 24 *sigh*, and I'm often wondering if some things I wear are too "cute" for my age. Yet I can't help loving my cartoon-themed Tshirts and colourful plastic accessories. I don't want to grow up!
ReplyDeleteomgoshh STUNNING pictures!!
ReplyDeleteThe feathers are really cool. I don't know there's a middle age where fashion is boring, but then as you get older it gets fun again. You can be a batty as you want when you have grey hair you dye purple! Also, dress how you want, not how people think you should. :)
ReplyDeleteWhen I was 22 and working in an office, I would really defy that inclination not to wear torn jeans and crazy shoes and it was generally tolerated because I genuinely was young and didn't make enough money to shop for office wear anyways.
ReplyDeleteThough 30 doesn't feel much different from 29, or 28, or 27 for that matter, scruffy tees just don't feel right--at least, not outside the gym. I like feeling put together. Which certainly doesn't *have* to preclude heart earrings!
(Love your blog, btw.)
lovely photo's baby and those feather are so quaint and interesting. Love the use of a floral background.
ReplyDelete&hearts, withasianstereotypes
I went to the diva sale yesterday afternoon, and the only feathered headband left (similar to the one in your photos) had a broken leg :( Le sigh! So I spent my change on Ma Higgins cookies instead >:) lol... it's dangerous to have a jewellery store and a cookie store next to each other!!
ReplyDeleteHi :) I have given you a blog award. Head over to my blog for details!
ReplyDeleteA xx
We feel the same- and more "ancient" than you at 25. I started monitoring myself about a year ago, especially when I'm at work.
ReplyDeleteI love, love, love your shoes and sparkly head-gear - I think you should definitely wear it out!
Worry not, lady. Those pink jelly shoes are fantastic.
ReplyDeleteI hate those magazine articles.. but I love your jelly flats. As long as you feel fab in them then they are just right.
ReplyDeleteThanks all for your comments. You've given me great thoughts and a great debate. It's no question that fashion is generally age-ist. However, style need not be.
ReplyDeletelouise: yes i think no matter my age I will always be attracted to gold sequins ;) The flower clip is pretty super isn't it?! It really szuzs up a hairstyle
muchlove: yes i wonder that too. the thing is I will never be a minimalist dresser - and that's generally the grown up look, isn't it?
Zoe: Thank you. You have the Patient Photographer to thank for that!
The Clothes Horse: You are the queen of feather hair clips! I just noticed them on you. I agree - there is that strange bridge age where there seems to be a lot of muted monochromatic colours, wide legged pants and cardigans
ambika: Your thoughts gave me something to think about. It is about how you feel and whether you're conscious about it. Thank you for the comment.
withasianstereotypes: yay for the feathers!
The Romantic Apple: Oh no! I'm sure it's easy enough to make, right? You could probably whip it up in seconds.
a cat of impossible colour: Wow! Thanks, Andrea. You are too fab. I will be giving it ASAP.
AsianCajuns: It is such a strange feeling when you do start monitoring what you wear in reference to your age. It's a weird sensation. I continue to have juvenile taste in clothing - sequins, ruffles, puffy things, shiny things, etc
Sarah Von: Thank you. The pink jelly shoes are yummy.
Lavender: So do i. I cringe every time I see a cover headline along the lines.
I hate those age features. There's hardly any difference till you get to about 70.
ReplyDelete