The Front Room Links

08 October 2008

Under My Umbrella

Yesterday I was caught in a deluge of rain/wind/hail. As I walked to work in a weather-inappropriate outfit, my pants retained so much water that it started to sag with its own weight and fall off me! I had to hobble in the rain/wind/hail, holding up my pants, holding my hood onto my head and holding my unzippable bag closed!

Things got so bad I had to stop over at Farmers to buy an entire new outfit...along with three other girls who were doing exactly the same thing. As I emerged from the store with the outfit below, I walked past a girl wearing the cutest light blue wellies. And was promptly very very jealous.

I find that - especially in Wellington - my fashion choices are heavily influenced by the state of the weather. Before considering an outfit, I have to station myself in front of Breakfast on TV One to catch Tamati, the weather guy. It is a source of frustration for me! Too many years of looking at Vogue photos of models in singlets in the Arctic or  in piles of ethnic kaftan and goat fur in the middle of Bhutan in summer makes me forget the fact that - fashion and real life don't co-exist easily.



Dress/Tunic: Farmers
Vest: Valley Girl
Tights: Farmers
Shoes: Farmers
Umbrella: The Gustbuster found on the side of the road a few years ago…so thrifted!

2 comments:

  1. Those photos look really effective with the umberella. The only advantage of working in an office is you can look a wreck after walking to work, take off your coat, change your shoes, fix your hair and you're ready to go for the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! I agree completely! On a cold day, you could conceivably walk around in short sleeves if the heater's not on the blink.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?