The Front Room Links

26 October 2008

English Historical Movie Overdose


My outfit for today left a lot to be desired. I was torn between the desire to work my summer dress into a wintry, windy day. And I got confussed. So please distract yourself with the baked goods that I drooled over instead. My personal pick was the boysenberry mille feuille.



Black Top Glassons Dress/Tunic Valley Girl Skirt Glassons Boots Number One Shoe Warehouse

I saw The Duchess today. While I appreciated the attempt at portraying the Duchess as an incredibly strong woman, constantly forced to sacrifice her personal happiness because of the strictures of her time, I felt terribly depressed. To think of the women throughout history and today who struggle to be the ultimate agents of their own lives but fail in the face of institutions and structures that are so much bigger than them. Just depressing...but look at all the pretty costumes...



Pictures from aceshowbiz.com

I returned home and found that there was a remake of A Room with a View on TV One. And my nana self was dead excited given my early obsession with the Merchant Ivory original. All those crisp white muslin dresses and shirts, lace, embroidery and straw hats! Mmmm.



5 comments:

  1. Wow, I actually like Keira in those photos! & those berries look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum.. those pastries look delishh..

    those costumes look amazing too..

    ReplyDelete
  3. that strawberry tartlet looks amazing! hehe, sorry it took me forever to do the tag :) there's an H&M behind the old bank arcade on lambton quay in wellington. er.. at least i think it's H&M >__>; it's been a while since i visited that area of town ^__^;;

    ReplyDelete
  4. That place called H&M isn't the H&M, it's just got some pretty leftover looking designer clothes. Anyway, totally agree with your sentiments on The Duchess, Ana. Beautiful costumes, but it's certainly not the kind of film you feel particularly good after, especially knowing that's just how life often was in those days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yiqin: keira was beautiful in the movie. and my boysenberry mille feuille was so delicious!

    v: the costumes in the duchess were to die for. it made me wonder what it would have been like making such an effort to get dressed everyday!

    the romantic apple: your tag was wonderful! and i'm waiting excitedly for your trademe listings

    louise: i love your description of hamilton and murray as a place with "pretty leftover looking designer clothes" It made me laugh because you're so right!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?