The Front Room Links

27 May 2012

numbers are a state of mind

There's a certain defensiveness to being in your late-twenties-approaching-thirty. On a Friday or Saturday night, staying out past midnight becomes a kind of challenge. You sneak at a look at your watch while blearily swilling your drink, your eyes heavy, your head pounding, your brain focused on your comfortable bed and a hot chocolate. Thirty minutes to go, you think. Thirty minutes and it'll be past midnight and I officially won't be a boring old nerd. 

I recently went to a house party complete with neon lights, dry ice, a punch bowl, bewildering costumes, a sega mega drive "zone", and long lines to the loo. As I stood shivering in the backyard, trying not to fall into the bushes from lack of sleep, hunched over my plastic cup of suspect punch, I was amazed that there were people my age who still tried this hard. The very concept of a house party had almost become strange to me. My friends noted that these days it was all dinner parties and casual  drinks at mine. I loved the effort and the energy but was confused by it at the same time. Acting your age is full of confused concepts and stereotypes. What exactly does your age feel like?



12 comments:

  1. I love this post and it made me smile, as i've had the same thoughts! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gawrsh, I'm 27 and I totally feel the same. I dunno if it's because I got married early, or whatnot, but I swear, I cannot stay up past midnight (unless important video games are in progress) and I cannot do house parties! I'm appalled that people who are older than I am or my age are even trying, like SUPER hard. I'll tell you though, though I'm almost 30, I totally don't feel like I'm 30. Except during those days when I wake up completely sore from working out! :)

    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights
    the shop of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha! Ana, oh lordie do I feel the same! I would have been just as confused as you are at that house party. Here in Edinburgh when my friend and I walk by any young people on the way to their night out (we're 27 and 28) we're always like "didn't we used to have energy like that once not so very long ago?" Now drinks and dinner parties sound so much better. I kind of didn't expect that to hit for another few years, but I'm so glad I'm not the only one congratulating myself once I make it past midnight ;)
    ps- Wonderful pics as always too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHAH!!! this is so funny! wait until you turn FORTY! i am forty one, and cruising up on forty two. the only night i can really HANDLE going out is saturday night. and most times i'd rather stay home. if i go out to dinner on a weeknight, i try and get home by 8:30 pm so that i have ME TIME and TIME TO UNWIND. going out involves a whole lot of hoopla, money and EFFORT. staying home is so much easier.

    ok, i am not a COMPLETE KILLJOY, but i probably will be by the time i turn fifty.

    love the pics!!!!!!

    p.s. last time i went to a concert, i was miserable. the sound WAS CRAP. i hate when the mix is all WRONG!!!!! the venue was annoying. the bands (much like myself) had seen better days and were way past their prime. so i weighed my options: sit and suffer through a bad and seemingly endless show; or cut my losses, beat traffic, and get home in time to unwind so that i could get to bed before midnight and be able to arise early the next morning. you can probably guess which option i went with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suppose I am lucky to not yet have reached my mid-twenties, yet I still have this same problem! Going out seems like such a chore, I would much rather stay at home in the warmth! And thank you for your kind words :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first paragraph in this entry was quite similar to how I was feeling the week before. Mid-life crisis perhaps? Same.

    Anyhow, When was you birthday Ana? How lovely it is to share the same birth month with you!

    The pictures are stunning, as always dear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pictures are outstanding!

    http://www.afrenchinlosangeles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm all about dinner parties and casual drinks at my place. And having them at my place is even better because my bed is only a few steps away. Hahaha! (and, yes, I'm 30!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe it's more about whether a person is an introvert/extrovert or both? I think based on that, no matter what age you are, you won't like house parties that run late! (I recently read a book called 'Quiet: The power of introverts' by susan cain ) =P

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?