The Front Room Links

20 June 2011

restful llubljana and cream cakes on cliffs in bled


10.30 am on a Monday, I wondered why people weren't working. The entire town seemed to be lounging on the sidewalks along the Llubljanic river drinking cappuccinos and petting their dogs.  In Llubljana, there's no major attraction, no "must-see", no classic postcard images. Only a river bordered by swishing trees and lilies, differently-themed bridges (from the antique to the modern Butcher's Bridge strewn with man-monster sculptures), Prague-like  coloured houses, and free ballet shows in the evening outside a pink Franciscan church. The most dramatic moment I had was in Bled, eating beef carpaccio and Slovenian cream cake on the grounds of a castle from the Middle Ages, perched 130 metres on a cliff, nestled by the Julian Alps. In Llubljana and Bled, the restful nature of these places, for the first time during my trip, allowed me to breathe.


 Next Stop: Budapest, Hungary 

13 comments:

  1. These photos are so sweet! Love the flowers on the bike basket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had more words for beautiful. BTW how do you cope with the language barrier?

    Arianne from A + B in the Sea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures are so lovely, they really do capture the tranquil mood of your holiday. That last photo is awesome, love the focus on that little island.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually stay close to the old town of lubljiana when I need to go there for business and I love to stroll around the river and the pretty houses!! sooo great!
    looking forward to hear more about budapest :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This place sounds and looks like a lovely dream =) Also, I'm in love with your star print top!

    star-crossed smile

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these pictures and the lights are so pretty. I adore the first few pictures the most, very beautiful and such a different scence from how the streets are here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful shots! I esp love the nigh shots, the unexpected pop of lights at night, amazing photos! :) And the gloves, very chic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. all of your shots are beautiful but that last shot makes my heart melt. i adore it!
    glad you found a place to take a moment and breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like Llubljana and Bled are the world's little reminders to slow down, take it easy and enjoy life's simple pleasures :)

    And, oh my goodness cream cake! I bet it was over-the-moon delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been following every post but I have to say this place in Slovenia, is absolutely my favourite place in the world right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh God, you were in Slovenia! So amazing! I feel so stupid now, to figure this out so late. I haven't read your blog for months now, because I always say to myself 'You have to take time to enjoy Ana's blog'.
    Oh...
    Tourists usually wonders who's working there (not only in Ljubljana, in others Slovenian cities is almost the same situation) if I tell you the truth I often wonder this too.

    Peace and love!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?