The Front Room Links

03 April 2011

unreliable narrators


One of my favourite ever quotes is by German author and philosopher, Novalis. We seek the absolute everywhere, and only ever find things. I found it tucked away in the front pages of Leanne Shapton's "Important Artifacts and Personal Property from the Collection of Lenore Doolan and Harold Morris, Including Books, Street Fashion, and Jewelry". It tells the story of love found and then lost through objects photographed, numbered and described in an auction catalogue. Over time, we become increasingly unreliable narrators of our lives. Memories blur and bend and dissolve into forgotten sentences, outright lies, and frayed ends. When I was younger, I distrusted my memories so much I kept sixty litre plastic bins full of mementos from (what I thought were) significant events. A crumpled red computer store flyer my first boyfriend threw at me (in his clumsy way of flirting), serviettes from cafes ringed with spilt coffee, and notes written during long lectures at university. Sometimes I think it's wonderful how we can imbue things with so much meaning and sentiment, that they almost come alive. Other times, I can't help but think, isn't that rather bleak?







♥ Pictures by Rob on a Mamiya RZ67 & Kodak Portra NC400 120mm film 
♥ Shirt from Glassons  Shorts from Witchery  

30 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos! I really like that quote you mentioned too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I was in France, I found old diaries filled with collages and ramblings, there were seven or eight of them... On the one hand, I felt silly but on the other hand, I just couldn't trash them so I put all of them in a box in the attic.

    Love the last shot xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your shorts! The colour is so pretty. And they look perfect paired with that pretty top.
    Im sad that its getting too cold here now to go to the beach, I will deffinately miss the summer.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've learnt enough about the nature to not want to trust it 100%, but enjoy the fact it's infallible. But still, I'd like to update my diary more frequently.

    I just finished reading The Making of Memento, very much a book for film geeks. But it was also interesting just thinking about Memento so much. If you haven't seen it, it's what came to mind when I read "unreliable narrators".

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing that beautiful quote. i have a terrible memory and when recalling our past, my boyfriend is always the one to correct me. i think it's sweet and sentimental to keep mementos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing shots!!!Love your purple skirt and your header is adorable!
    http://chiccastyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the purple shorts. and that picture of you with the seashell is my favorite! haha i can imagine little you collecting those mementos. it's a really interesting concept, though. i never really think about the relationship between material things and memories. hmmmm... ana, the philosopher.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a wonderful quote! Thank you for sharing Ana.
    These pictures are so lovely and oh Mamiya!I love the tones of these too plus your outfit is totally gorg <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love: this beach, your outfit, and your doggie! :)

    I use to rely so much on my scrapbooks/pictures/planner as my "memory" and still relish those little notes that I keep. You are right, they have so much meaning/sentiment to them...but why do I rely on that? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sweet, adore your beautiful outfit and the beach looks lovely. Is it warm enough to still walk on the beach where you are? it is getting much colder here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photos! I want to visit your country :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such pretty pictures! i love pictures by the sea!


    Camila F.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ana! Beautiful pictures and your words are so poetic! I know what you mean though...there are so many memories..some good ones that we want to prolong and some bad ones we wish we could just erase.

    And your comment about the chef makes me wonder about the same thing too but then I think since their passion is cooking, they'll always have delicious food in their fridge..haha :-)I really miss taking outfit pictures too and I'm trying my best to do it again. xoxxoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful, lovely quote. And these pictures are wonderful, you look lovely :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. unreliable narrators. yes, that is so true. half the time i am telling a story and i can't remember my source, or i get sketchy on the details, and it all kind of falls apart. argh!

    this isn't really related, but speaking of the word ABSOLUTE, i have a friend that CONSTANTLY says the word PRECISELY. it drives me bonkers. i just cannot imagine using that word often, IF EVER! lol

    and love your pictures -- they are fab.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Unrealiable or not, I'm going to do all I can to retain memories I want to keep, be it by keeping an old love letter or some significant keepsake.

    That picture with the waves rushing at you is just beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That really interesting what you said about how objects hold memories for us. It makes me think about all the things that I save (anything from a ticket stub to a handwritten note) and all the memories they hold. The book you mentioned sounds really fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful dreamy photographs!

    I wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh, it's my favorite purple shorts again. You must tell Rob how incredibly gorgeous these photos are. I keep gazing at them with my mouth turned up in a smile. The soft tones are especially lovely amid the calm, waterside atmosphere.

    Oh, and I am definitely an unreliable narrator. I, too, hold on to things for their meaning and sentiment, but often wonder why i feel the need to do so. Why not work on strengthening our capacities to ensure the longevity of our most valued memories - to relive them within ourselves and not through things? Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I feel like if I went to the beach with ytou I would have so much fun. Kinda want to go seashell hunting right now.. except the weather.. makes me not so much lol. You going to GOvt House open day?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for sharing this quote, it's so beautiful. And so are your photos! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely photos <3 You look a m a z i n g <3

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are absolutely dreamy! I love the setting and your lovely outfit. The lilac shorts are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wonderful photos and your outfit is great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. you certainly have a way with words. your description of memories and the we process them, forget them, remake them and even relive them is spot on. your writing is a always a treat to read. the photos are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?