The Front Room Links

27 November 2010

anthropomorphism


This used to be an air force base. In 1948, it looked like this. Now, everything is crumbling, and rusting, and the wharves have holes as big as a coffin, and the curtains in the windows are the smiles of old women with crooked teeth. At night, when nobody is around and nobody is looking, I imagine it moaning and creaking and rustling with the wind. With a slow, slow crack, like velcro unzipping, these houses haul themselves up off the ground, like an elderly person getting up from a soft sofa, and they stand, looking out for a while over the sea.






♥ Photos by Rob D on a Canon EOS 5D, Nikon 35mm f/1.4 
♥ Cardigan from Country Road ♥ Top from Cotton On ♥ Skirt from Temt ♥ Belt from Portmans ♥ Shoes are thrifted from Trademe ♥ Locket from Bling ♥ Bag is thrifted from Rebound Clothing ♥ ♥ Backgrounds from Vintage Printables 





♥ We're at the old Shelly Bay Air Force Base on Shelly Bay Road 

18 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, I knew this post would be good just by its title. These human characteristic you've given the old air force base rouse such strong imagery. You have a great knack for this and, simply put, it's beautiful.

    Sweet skirt and bag, by the way. Very Ana if I do say so ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely pictures, with real feeling behind them. And you look lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I have been down there in forever - which is a bit tragic considering how close to it I live! Absolutely stunning photos dear x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing. This is the kind of place i dream about photographing. x hivennn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog is such a treat for the eye. And your stories are always so special and powerful. *sigh*
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely,lovely setting.Beautiful photos! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are my new favourite blogger! I am currently going through your archives. :P Your photos are so lovely and I envy your floral dresses!

    Interestingly, the word verification for this comment was "ganda" which is exactly what I think about your work!

    Arianne from A + B in the Sea

    ReplyDelete
  8. fantastic! i have such a fascination with everything military, in particular pertaining to WW2. i really enjoyed the photos of the derelict base. and, as always your words and yourself are a pleasure to behold... <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was Cheech & Chong's "Up in Smoke",darl!! I didn't know Snoop Dogg did a remake??How fab!x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, such beautiful pictures! I love the flower print on you, and I also love the little collages you made.

    *Ena*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Damn it Ana... how do you do it? Not only do you manage to put together the most gorgeous outfits but you also have the most amazing style of writing. You're incredible and your guy takes a mean photo! Wishes for a lovely new week to you both... you're inspiring.♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. So lovely!
    Amazing pictures :)))

    LOVE
    minnja

    http://minnja.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very lovely and its interesting to see how this place has changed. I love your pretty floral skirt and the choice of colour you wore with it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are too adorable! Do you think we would be friends in real life? Because I totally do hehe ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post is perhaps one of my favorites of yours. I'm smitten with old sprawling places like this - places that have little bits of history around every corner. The photographs are lovely, and it looks so wonderful to be able to wander about this place!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that photo of you laughing and walking towards the camera! This place looks a little like the long hall in "Whale Rider"! I'm sure it isn't though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. really cool blog! i love the sunny mood, it makes me think of the summer!
    i followed(: do you want to follow mine?

    X zoƩ - lightningfactory.blogspot.com -

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?