The Front Room Links

27 October 2009

concrete shoes

Lemon the canary got very sick. The vet took one look at her and prepared us for the worst, telling us there was a chance she wouldn't pull through. I burst into tears. A couple of hours later, the vet called to tell us Lemon was on antibiotics and perfectly happy. If I felt like this for my pet bird, how would I feel if it was my child? Or my family? Or my friend? So many of my thoughts are occupied with time - the keeping of it, the passing of it, the wasting of it. I look into the future and realise there's a lot of pain in store for us which we won't be able to avoid. But I shake my head and force myself to read a book, watch a movie, pick my clothes from the floor. If we all lived thinking about how we die, I think we'd freeze to the spot, paralysed. We'd sink into the depths like we had concrete blocks attached to our feet. So we move on. We have to.



♥ Cardigan and dress are thrifted ♥ Brooch a gift from Emily ♥ Belt from Portmans ♥

37 comments:

  1. Oh sweetie - so pleased to hear the little one is getting better....I know what you mean about the future - I'm hopeless that way - I worry about my loved ones, my health etc etc what if...! :( I try to appreciate everything I have now and count my blessings. Having said that - I love your photos here as always - you have some lovley fields of flowers over there in NZ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we have to.

    Your dress is so nice, love the last picture.

    Peace and love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just hate the movie Marley and ME. You know why? Anyway have you watched it? I swear ill never watch that movie again. I have a dog. I consider him my first born. Crazy right? Anyway he's two years old now. I just don't want to think what will happen when he turns twelve. I live for now and here.
    btw am sorry about Lemon. I pray that she gets well and recover fast. Everything will be fine. And i hope you'll feel better too.

    I Am Denise Katipunera

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are very pretty pictures. The scenery is lovely and you look beautiful as always. I agree with what you wrote. I think about those things sometimes but usually try not to. I should appreciate things that I have at the moment more I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, I am so happy that your bird is ok! I am not sure what I would do if my cat got really sick :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad your bird is feeling better. Great outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So wonderful to hear that your bird is on the mend!! While I'm sort of bad at it, I try not to think too much about what bad things could happen, and I try to focus more on all of the amazing things that do happen!!

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww im glad your bird is ok! i feel like that about what i love too! but we do move on, its crazy cause i feel like how can i but i do we all do.
    ((the costume pretains to a book by fashion photographer Ellen von Unwerth called "Revenge" but i took the title off because i remembered that the book contains adult subject matters that might be taken wrong by some -and im sure some people might google it and be like oh wow yeah ok this is what shes into! i hate that i have to think about those things!))

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean, everytime I realize that everything around me (including me) will fade into nothingness someday it feels so sad!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad your Lemon is doing great. It's so surprising to see what we are attached to. I hat the cliche, You don't know what you have until it's gone. so lame but true.
    What you said about fear really renders with me also. I lost my dad recently and the thought of losing my mom even as an adult woman brings me so much fear but something as simple as a walk outside makes it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  11. BTW, i love the photos, especially the first one! Rob D never ceases to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad Lemon is okay! And I know the future hold so much pain, but we cannot focus on it, or else our lives will be filled with grief.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beautiful post. I relate to it in a way I wouldn't have thought of. I guess you have to face such a situation to learn to put things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I'm so happy Lemon is ok but you're right, all of our loved ones and ourselves will pass one day. It is very hard to think about it as it's unavoidable. I love my pets very much as well and can't imagine the heartache that must go with losing a child.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what ADORABLE pictures of you! oh my goodness.
    it doesn't seem to ever get easier does it? i just found out my friend is losing her battle with cancer. ugh, i don't even have words for it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. very true and whoa where'd u find such a nice field of flowers. Sometime in your many travels lol?

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful dress! glad your little one's alright! :) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. the photos are stunning. i love the dress. the grass and flowers make a beautiful backdrop.

    glad your bird is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so glad your canary is okay! And yes, you are so right, we would be paralyzed if that's how we thought... and it's an easy place to slip to- that's why beautiful things (like your blog) are great inspirations and absolutely necessary (art is absolutely essential to humanity I think for this very reason).
    Love these gorgeous photos-- to be reminded of spring during our Northern hemisphere fall (rain, rain, rain) is heavenly! Thanks, AnaB!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh i'm so glad lemon is okay! :) we love our pets don't we? just two days ago, my goldfish didn't want to swim, and only stayed on the ground, and he was gasping and his gills were all red and swollen, like he couldn't breathe. i was so scared for him, i treated him and i scrubbed his tank completely clean and found WORMS EVERYWHERE in the gravel. Now they're gone and he's swimming happily again. it's nothing compared to lemon, but if i cried when i saw henry sitting on the gravel, i won't know how i'd cope with people close to me getting sick!!!!

    btw, i LOVE your dress.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, you look so beautiful, just like a dream! So glad that your Lemon has pulled through!!

    It's strange, we're made tougher than we think...it's never easy to deal with the passing of a loved one, but as time passes on, we'll move forward just as it should be...

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. lovely words, so very true, it's funny how we all manage to pull through if we have the right people surrounding us and helping

    love your pretty skirt x

    ReplyDelete
  23. the fields that you are in are so majestic and beautiful...as is your sweet smile and pretty dress! I'm so glad that lemon is on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't think I could cope with having a baby for that very reason. Mink already tears my heartstrings out every day with worry and love - surely a child would be worse? I'm glad to hear that Lemon is okay, and these photos are lovely.

    A xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. lovely pics - so glad your little bird is ok. The same thing happened to mine a couple of months ago but he died and I was devastated xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ana, what you wrote produces such a human resonance. It's remarkable that we have these capabilities of feeling and worry and at the same time are ingrained with the strength to endure it all. Sometimes I think of it as part of the process of self-discovery - taking time and utilizing it based on the principle of picking up & moving on. You're right, we'd become stagnant if we didn't.

    I'm glad to hear your little Lemon is doing better.

    Breathtaking photos, m'dear. They have such a dreamlike quality to them. It looks like you enjoyed a perfectly lovely afternoon. Reading in a field of flowers = love.

    ReplyDelete
  27. i swear, your pictures just get dreamier and dreamier. the one of you peeping over the flowers with the soft focus made me smile. I'm glad your bird is better! I can't even begin to think about losing a loved one.
    -indigo

    ReplyDelete
  28. so glad she got better! i remember being so sad when my cat died with i was younger, and i didn't even like the cat it was fat and mean! but loss is still always hard.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm glad your little Lemon is on the mend. :)

    P.S. How wonderful to read a book in a bed of flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ana, you are just adorable! Love this outfit. I'm glad to hear your canary is feeling better! It's scary how quickly things can become serious... Yes, thinking about those things can be paralyzing! My biggest fear is probably my husband dying. Sometimes I try to imagine what I would do if that happened, and I really think I would just be completely lost! :(

    ReplyDelete
  31. So true...it is only those moments when we feel on the verge of losing something suddenly that the fleeting nature of life hits us...it is frightening. It is good, in many ways, that we live in denial of it most of the time...

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?