The Front Room Links

12 November 2008

A Soupçon of Contrasts

I'm currently trying out what those oh-la-la fashion journo's call a "soupçon of contrasts" by contrasting an eyelet vest thingy with a pom pom trim against a nasty old sweatshirt dress. which I sometimes wear to bed. Bossy magazines like Cosmopolitan and Shop Till You Drop bark orders such as -- "toughen" up your florals with skinny jeans/leather ankle boot/motorbike jacket/studded cuff or "work back" a pussy bow blouse with skinny jeans/motorbike jacket/leather anket boot/studded cuff. God forbid you pair said pussy bow blouse with a pencil skirt and heels -- to twee or wear your floral dress with curly hair, a headband and flats with bows -- too sweet. The former is "stylish" and "fashionable". The latter is too "literal" and distasteful. Does anyone have an idea why?



♥ White vest/cardigan/gilet thing from ChocoMilk in Tokyo ♥ Grey sweatshirt dress from Uniqlo ♥ Black Croc shoes from Tokyo ♥ Bangles, Bracelets, and Wrist Hardware assorted from Equip, Diva and thrifted.

Also please enjoy Coco Rocha in Nicole Farhi. I love the structure of the clothes, the exaggerated silhouttes, the limited colour palette, and the cinched waists. I think Nicole Farhi would do well in NZ. I can just imagine Max making knock offs of these for next fall/winter!





Pics from supermodels.nl

8 comments:

  1. It's all the nonesense of trends...I always try to wear what I like, but I can't help but be influenced by what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the clothes horse. I like going the whole hog with a look - I really couldn't imagine myself 'toughening up' one of my floral dresses with a leather jacket! Just not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohmigod, today I wore that exact outfit - a pussybow, heels and straight skirt. I did think I looked a bit like a librarian before I left the house but couldn't be bothered getting changed. I have now put on my knee length boots that thankfully were stashed under my desk. Looking slightly more fierce now! xxx Lianne (tactics)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose the literal looks make someone look like they're trying too hard to create an outfit? Just a guess. However, I think doing what you feel most comfortable about looks the best no matter how outdated it might seem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these are lush! I wish it was winter again...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess it's fun to mix things up, but personally I'm all for the classic "literal" outfits. I'd love to wear a floral blouse with a sweet skirt.
    I hate it when magazines try to tell you how NOT to wear something, especially when that forbidden style actually suits me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the clothes horse: i agree. i wear what i like but suddenly, i start to think gosh i need some sort of studded accessory or belt right about now! :P

    a cat of impossible colour: hmmm yes it would require me to own a leather jacket! i don't think that will happen any time soon because I'm unsure about leather as a fabric for me.

    lianne: oh my goodness! what a giggle seeing you in the comments section. I am very pleased and honoured you took the time! You are one of the most stylish women I know so I think you have no problem with looking fierce at all times anyway!

    asiancajuns: i like that way of thinking. if i look in the mirror and i like it that does me most of the time! but i agree, there is a certain insouciance and nonchalance with the more trendy looks going around

    i.d.: i hate the cold but i do enjoy these winter clothes very very much. perhaps if I had them all, I wouldn't hate the cold so much!

    muchlove: magazines are just full of directives, aren't they? i'm only just realising how bossy they are. it taks a while to be confident enough to not be influenced by what a mag says - as if if you're not doing it the way they say, there must be something wrong. Ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find this quite interesting, because I think the thing that attracted me to a lot of fashion blogs initially (and I never read fashion magazines) is because most of the girls around here do go the full yard with their outfits, just shy of making it "themed". It's bold and really takes you to the place of their inspiration, and I like that. Of course, it's easier to incorporate pieces into your wardrobe for a start by toning them down and "toughening them up".

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?