There's an element of naivete to all this talk about getting back in touch with the land. It gets sold to us as an idyllic paradise where waste is greatly reduced, the sun always shines, and if you really wanted, you could trace the origins of your organic, handmade, artisanal honey to the beekeeper who lifted the honeycomb from the hive. Seduced by all the blogposts and clothbound coffee table books, I dragged a group of friends thirty minutes from the city to gather what I thought was elderflower and I'd imagined I would turn into the best, homemade elderflower cordial. "Harvesting" made me feel like mother-goddess incarnate, thrifty as hell, and very morally superior. I'd already started mentally designing my artisanal elderflower cordial label and plotted which Sunday markets around Wellington I would hawk my wares at. As it turned out, the elderflowers weren't elderflowers at all. They were cow parsley. Which, if you're interested, are basically good for nothing, slightly noxious weeds which are often mistaken for elderflower. The fact that others had made the same mistake was small comfort. Still, it could have been worse. I could have been Nicholas Evans (author of Horse Whisperer) who foraged for mushrooms on a country estate and ended up losing his kidney along with his wife. Okay, this autumn I'm going to stick with picking wild blackberries. I can't mistake a blackberry, right?










This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletemy, my Ana these are oh so beautiful! The tones in these are too perfect. Now I really feel like I need to buy a TLR as i have been wanting to get a hold of it for months now ! <3
ReplyDeleteStunning, once again!!! The story behind these pics is a lot more humorous than the pics tell :) And totally relatable! :) Also I can't believe how beautiful it is at that place!
ReplyDeleteYou're adorable. This story is so precious.
ReplyDeletexxx
Oh no! looks like you had a lovely day all the same. love the photos
ReplyDeleteSuch gorgeous photography as always. It must have been so disappointing to find out you hadn't picked Elderflowers at all. I love Elderflower flavoured anything!
ReplyDeleteoh goodness. at least you didn't come out of this experience worse for wear (like poor mr. evans). i love how these photos show that despite the mix-up the day was far from wasted.
ReplyDeleteThese pictures show a lot more joy than the story. Actually, your pictures always have that little something that makes them somehow special.
ReplyDeleteWell, at least the pictures look a-ma-zing! I'm guessing you had a wonderful time, elderflower or no elderflower!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful scenery and day you had! Beautifulrelaxing photos here! :)
ReplyDelete