The Front Room Links

18 April 2009

tourists only wear t-shirts

I certainly wasn't a wallflower when it came to my travel outfits. In fact, I was the exact opposite. When I strode down the streets, heads turned, old men were bemused, teens giggled. Oh yes, dear readers, I was horifically overdressed.

In Hong Kong, I spent most of my time in the wholesale district in short skirts and a gauzy floral singlet. People were confused by the drapery. In Macau, I managed to get my top half right by wearing a t-shirt, as was the tourist custom, but they gazed aghast at my flippy blue skirt. In Manila, despite the greater number of dressed-up people, my clothes didn't fit - either they weren't casual enough and they weren't expensive enough. In the provinces, I was constantly wondering why I had packed for an urban weekend in the Sydney CBD instead of for mucking around in waterfalls, beaches, and rickety roads. Let's face it - I regret leaving my jogging shorts and sneakers at home. But I bet they ain't never seen a girl in lavender silk shorts. Word.


♥ Yellow singlet is thrifted Supre, Pink Skirt is Zara, Wedges are Tony Bianco ♥ Black Dress is FQL Bangkok and Shoes are Crocs ♥ Cardigan is Glassons, Floral Singlet is Principals, Skirt is Glassons and Shoes are Crocs ♥ Aviators is Portmans, Necklace is Kultura Philippines, and Dress is Forever 21 ♥


♥ Cardigan from Glassons, Necklace from Diva, Purple top from H&M, Leggings from Farmers, Jandals from the Warehouse and Bag from Farmers ♥ Yellow top is thrifted Supre, shorts are Witchery and Jandals are gifted from Philippines ♥ T=shirt from Uniqlo, Bag from Farmers, Skirt from Evolution ♥ Halter from Krabi, Bangkok

17 comments:

  1. The first pencil striped skirt is cute.

    X♥X♥
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww you look adorable. I had the same problem, I was over dressed for everything when I went to China last year. :(

    XXASAB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore all your outfits! people were probably looking because they liked what they were seeing too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your lavender silk shorts :)
    All of your outfits are lovely and look supremely comfortable, which is my biggest and often only concern when I travel. I bet you were a spark of inspiration to the t-shirt clad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never know what to wear on holiday i usually end up doing the tourist as I have no clothes for hot weather!
    Love the pastels and florals in your snaps xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. psh, vacations are the PERFECT time to overdress. Get tons of weird stares? Whatever, you're leaving in a few days anyways.
    I go up to this town in the mountain every summer, and it's a big mountain biking and hiking kind of place. So of course everyone's heads kind of explode when they see my outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you certainly look adorable to me! I like that cute little side ponytail, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look so darling! It's even more impressive when people dress nice on vacation--b/c you know they're limited to a suitcase!

    ReplyDelete
  9. how lovely are you?? gosh i need to travel more...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you have the travel outfits nailed, and if people were lookin, it was because you looked so ood!

    ReplyDelete
  11. be overdressed with pride! you look so lovely! especially love the floral top x

    ReplyDelete
  12. adorable. :) You could start trends over there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are so cuuuteee! hihi. i lov all your travel outfits. i am sure people look because you're too cute to ignore.

    have a great day lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look wonderful and every of your outfits is great! I like the floral blouse in the last picture :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous outfit - yellow top and skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. very cute! i love your outfits. and your blog! :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?