The Front Room Links

25 January 2009

the beautiful are the damned


My decision to go to the races on Saturday was only made on Friday afternoon. It coincided with a complimentary make-up session I had booked a while ago at Mecca Cosmetica. It seemed a shame to waste a full face of free make-up. So I pulled together a mish-mash of things in my wardrobe. The headgear was the hardest part. I pondered making an impromptu fascinator out of an old leather bangle, a lace ribbon and some super glue; then I tried winding necklaces around my head in a sort-of Cleopatra fab homage; finally I just put on a headband with a feather on it, dreadfully exhausted by the whole process. Next year, I'm planning ahead.

QUICK NOTE: I saw a lot of girls wearing the same dresses. Nothing worse. I'm very very glad I wore vintage. It's at least a measure of a guarantee that you won't clock another girl in the same chain store tat as you!


♥ Headband from Diva ♥ Earrings are self-made ♥ Dress is vintage ♥ White clutch is thrifted ♥ Ring from Diva ♥ Necklace worn as bracelet is vintage ♥ Shoes are Nude ♥

YES. I know there isn't much difference in the photos. But in real life there truly was! If anyone wants a little rundown/review about any of the make-up products used below, email or leave a comment. If I look extra glowy in the after photos - well, that is the magic of the Prescriptives Illuminating range and the light I'm standing next to. Promise.




♥ SPF 25+ Face sunscreen by Mecca Cosmetica ♥ Prescriptives Illuminating Liquid Potion ♥ Presciptives Translucent Liquid Powder ♥ Concealer is unknown ♥ Mascara is Kevyn Aucoin ♥ Eye liner is Stila Smudge Pot in Jet Black ♥ Eyeshadows are Stila Eyeshadow Pans ♥ Blush is Nars in Orgasm ♥ Lipstick is Stila SPF 20 Shine Lip Colour in Charlotte ♥ Lip liner is Utowa in Peach

♥ Headband from Equip ♥ Top from Farmers ♥ Skirt is Shilla from Lippy ♥ Bag is gifted from Carol in New York, thank you, Carol!

The races themselves were interesting. On the one hand, equestrian sports are indelibly linked to traditional, posh, upper-class Ascot upbringings. Yet, there were very very drunk people, boys in unitards, rubbish everywhere and an owners car-boot party in the members'parking lot (I think Americans call it tailgating). I guess that's what happens when they let riff-raff like me in ;)

My favourite sights of the day.




27 comments:

  1. As indicated by your photos, it looks like you had a good time! I love your vintage dress, it's gorgeous! There's a race track fairly close by to where I live, but I've never been. The region goes completely ga-ga over it once racing season begins. I feel that once I find the perfect event-appropriate hat then maybe I will venture out and see what it's all about ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just went to a polo match too!
    It's all so posh and i know that i have to go in very last minute. Luckily, i called my friend and got some information of what to wear.
    It's actually a good experience , huh ?
    seeing ppl dress in very vary outfit.
    :)

    Pan's Holiday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boys in unitards?! No thank you.

    I love that dress! It looks like you had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i totally agree, vintage would definitely be the way to go at those kind of events (i wouldn't know, i'm not old enough). And those shots you got of the day are lovely! the weather looks so beautiful, and the very bottom-right girl is just adorable!

    xx chloe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just talking to my mother about how fun it would be to go to the races and wear a big hat and and fancy dress..but she had no idea what i was talking about! Haha, we don't have any racetracks near here...

    Anyway, looks like you had fun! I'm very jealous!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dress fits you perfectly!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dress is really wonderful, good choice! I was very surprised by how many women around know how to dress up immaculately, why don't they do that every day? I had a lot of fun too, but it sure was smoking hot out there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the races. Such a good excuse to get dressed up but then be as tacky as can be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The top is so gorgeous & suits you so well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look amazing in that vintage peach dress! Loving all the little accessories too. Everything goes perfectly together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Vintage dress looks lovely on you.. the color is great

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love that vintage dress :)

    xoxo,
    La C.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your photos are amazing! THOSE HATS!! I swear, I would die if I went anywhere that had so many people wearing really cool hats.

    And I never thanked you for the award, so: THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pink suits you lady!! And thank you so much for my awards!! I'll pass them on this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha, why were there boys in unitards? That must have been a hilarious site. You and your friends, on the other hand, look so elegant. I love your dress - that pink goes so well with your skin tone!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Darnit it looks like a whole heap of fun. You and your dress are absolutely beautiful. Where'd ya find that gem? Hope the work weeks started well too :)

    E xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your dress is darling.
    All that fancy headgear is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great choice going with vintage & so true about being the only gal rocking the outfit! I love the fringe!

    jess s.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I could not agree more about the dress being vintage! I was so glad mine was one of a kind too! you look stunning. And you got photos! jealous. ahha

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello, darling,

    Please check my blog for the FABOLOUS BLOG AWARD, I pass on you! ♥♥♥♥

    AND

    What a fantastic day! Your outfit is adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE going to the races! You look so fabulous, I love your vintage dress. You go girl!

    How was Mecca Cosmetica? Looks like they did a great job. I keep wanting to get my makeup done, just for fun... xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. PS: We've awarded you a Fabulous Blog award!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the dress on you. Is it pink & black? Anyhow, lovely little number. You wore it well.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You look lovely & love all the action shots of the fashion. I definitely prefer vintage for big events (especially weddings) if only to avoid wearing the same thing as someone else.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?