The Front Room Links

29 November 2008

Miss Dressing Up in Cut-Price Missoni


The dress below is no doubt a copy of the relatively well-known Missoni Karolina dress. I think this was a find during one of my mother's overseas jaunts. It got me thinking that NZ doesn't have enough stores which do designer copies well. Europe and the US are full to bursting with them - Zara, Reiss, H&M, Top Shop, Forever 21, MNG - and what do we have? Max and Glassons. And they're hardly fashion-forward. Generally, I find the choice of clothing in NZ, both chain and designer, very safe and unexciting. Perhaps I am not looking in the right places? Anyhow, it's very dissatisfying having to fly halfway around the world to find clothes which stun you in your tracks and make your heart beat fast at non-designer prices. The choices here are limited and the price points high. This is partly what drove me to stalking second-hand and vintage shops - the drive for something different and interesting.




Missoni has been revitalised for the new century. It's not all geometric knit jumpers and kaftans anymore. This is partly due to their "ambassador" Margherita Missoni who is the perfect clotheshorse for their beautiful patterns, slinky knits, bejewelled vests and dresses, and luxe-boho point of view. She is just gorgeous with a definite sense of her own style. She's not afraid of pattern and colour and I love her laid-back yet very feminine take on dressing up. Imagine her closet!



6 comments:

  1. I LOVE THE DRESS! You look really beautiful in it <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with the dress baby. You look dead gorgeous! Ahhhh! so cute <3

    with love, china le

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dress looks so sweet on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking fabulous as always, Ana! That strapless maxi dress right underneath the photos of you is to DIE FOR! I agree with you that Max and Glassons are very safe. Let's not even talk about Valleygirl. Wild Pair is probably the more exciting clothes store, next to Ziggurat and Frutti! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone! the dress is fairly fabulous except it belongs to my mother and I'd have to suck in my stomach in order to survive in it for a whole day :(

    Romantic Apple: Wild Pair is pretty good. They always have really nice dresses and shoes. But still it ain't no Zara ;) Oh well. I should stop complaining otherwise just move out of the country!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous dress! I love the halter neckline.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?