The Front Room Links

06 June 2009

urban motorway

In my city, a motorway runs through an early settler cemetery. In the 1960s, the Council had to disinter around three thousand bodies and relocate them in a vault underneath the grounds. During the work week, this cemetery is alive - people eat their lunches there, jog with their Ipods plugged into their ears and wander around the gravestones. This Saturday as we wandered down the path, the wind rustled the eaves of the trees and golden leaves fluttered down from the canopy. It felt like we were being welcomed. I think people are lucky to spend the rest of their lives here.





♥ Jacket from Evolution NZ ♥ Top from H&M ♥ Skirt is thrifted ♥ Tights are Vodoo 70 Denier Opaques ♥ Shoes from Mi Piaci ♥ Earrings from Equip ♥ Belt from Glassons ♥
♥Location: Bolton Street Memorial Park

48 comments:

  1. These are stunning. I love that cemetery too. You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cemetery is amazing and the colours of the autumn are beautiful.
    I like your outfit today, especially the skirt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you bring so much beauty to such a dark setting. i love this photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photographs, it's rather cool the way the motorway sort of hovers over the tombs. When we were kids my mom would take us exploring on weekends to various places and old cemeteries were often on our itinerary. We used to love walking around reading tombstones and seeing the dates of birth and death. I remember that many of them would be on the same date though different year. How sad to die on your birthday...

    But on a much brighter subject, your outfit is perfect and you have an award!xo

    Wishing you a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gosh these pictures are so lovely,
    I hope you don't mind me linking you to my blog,
    have a lovely weekend and I love your flowery background :)
    nicky x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great top and jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what an amazing cemetry. I havent seen one so lovely in Australia.
    Your skirt is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you're reminding me of a cemetery i live close to and making me want to go back there and take photos. I did that once a few years ago and it was really fun.
    The 2nd photo looks soooo peaceful. Funny to see the motor parkway right above it and imagine noisy cars and trucks rushing past.
    i think you mean spending the rest of their 'deaths' there. lol =P

    ReplyDelete
  9. really cool photos. i love your skirt:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those photos are amazing but it's a little weird for me that the cemetery is such a normal, liveable place like a park is. Here, the cemeteries, no matter how pretty they are, are all guarded and closed down at night.

    By the way, I really like your skirt! *

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, the last picture is STUNNING! And I love the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that skirt you've got on is gorgeous. A really good thrifted find :)

    btw, I've been tagged and now I'm passing it onto you. Check out my blog for more details

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love old cemeteries!

    Love the outfit! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wonderful thrift find in that skirt! goodness what an awesome story on this cementary where i live they are their own places and usually closed off from the world with walls as if they offend us and we have to be sheilded from them or they are very far from the city and in which case they arent closed off per se but its a long drive to get to them; either way they are not places full of people doing lively things! y'alls way sounds a more joyful way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. your skirt is so prettttttty. there is something so quiet and soothing about cemetaries. All the fall leaves look beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely skirt!

    Have a great weekend, Honey!

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  17. these are beautiful images. i adore your thrifted skirt girl! lovely blog.
    muah x
    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  18. We used to do so many photo shoots at the Bolton for our year 12 and 13 photography classes! :D It brings back so many memories... I love these photos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That place looks amazing and you are adorable! I love cemeteries.

    ReplyDelete
  20. you look great in your outfit, and your photos are so stunning ! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  21. Whoa, that's crazy. It looks like a beautiful park! Love your bag- very basic, yet a very cool addition to the outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just love the way you present your photographs. They are so beautiful, and inspiring. They always look like a piece of art with a really fashionable and cute girl. Stay wonderful !

    oxoxo! hope to hear from YOU !:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. You've done it again. This post, these photos -- quiet, captured beauty singing with wonderment and joy. I hope you've been enjoying your weekend to the max :)

    P.S. Thank you for the link. I had only glanced quickly at the headline a while back and never returned to read the whole article.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i've been meaning to ask you- how did you get that floral border on the sides of your blog? i've really been wanting to do something like that but am a little helpless (:

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cemetaries are so peaceful! Great choice of scenery :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. i think cemetaries are so romantic and beautiful. when i lived in Quebec, i would always walk through the nearby cemetary in the evening and make up stories about the names i saw!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a beautiful, magical cemetary!

    I love visiting cemetaries, they are full of such love and peace, and it is so heartbreaking yet inspirational reading the headstones.

    You are looking stunning for your visit to the cemetary! I adore your pink top and skirt combo. So darn cute!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. These pictures are beautiful! The lighting is beyond amazing and I need that perfect skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What wonderful photos! You look lovely, as usual. I love cemetaries in a not-creepy way.

    ReplyDelete
  30. i love your outfit! it's a winner! And those photos are great too. Especially the last one.

    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  31. woww, haha that is complicated. well thanks so much for the link! i'll see what i can do.

    ReplyDelete
  32. i love how u sort of callaged them together. for lack of better word.. cute skirt
    We were Damsels thanks for commenting we really appreciate it

    ReplyDelete
  33. oh my goodness! can we talk about these??
    these are amazingggg.
    nice work xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. :0) Some of the most relaxing and beautiful places happen to be graveyards. I'm glad that you have found a lovely one that speaks to you.

    ReplyDelete
  35. i'm the kind of people that thinks cementeries are beautiful places. they have a particular vibe that's more appealing than scary.
    this one looks particularly beautiful. and the fact that people see it as a 'normal' place, makes it even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  36. We have something very similar in Auckland on Symonds st, although I don't think many people stop by and visit there. It's a shame because there are so many historical graves there.

    I'm really enjoying the collaborations you have done with Diana. Can't wait for the next installment!

    p.s. I wish Siren had done shoes like that, had to get them shipped from overseas instead!

    ReplyDelete
  37. wow, this last photo is haunting...the tree is so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  38. Awesome photos.Specially the skirt, and the place is so great! Love it, the trees and everything.Hope to see more.=)

    A Writers Den
    The Brown Mestizo

    ReplyDelete
  39. what fabulous pictures!
    Love your skirt too.

    ReplyDelete
  40. these pictures are fabulous! It looks like the weather was just gorgeous out. Loving those wedges :-)

    ReplyDelete
  41. i love the skirt and the colour of the thights!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh, I love cemeteries. The ones in Seattle aren't anything special but the above ground ones in Belize and Prague are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  43. That cemetery seems perfectly amazing! I feel like I could spend hours wandering around it!

    You look glowing and so pretty in the photos!!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?